We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boarding pass questoin

Louisville, Kentucky
3 posts
Save Topic
Boarding pass questoin

Greetings!

This Saturday I am flying for the first time. I will be going alone and feel kind of nervous. I have a questions about the boarding pass.

Do I need to cut out the boarding pass from the paper that I print it on? I will be checking in online at home and will print the boarding pass on regular paper. So, do I need to cut out the boarding pass from the paper or just bring the whole sheet with me?

Thank you.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Boarding pass questoin

Just bring the whole sheet. I usually fold mine in 3 so the boarding card bit shows without having to unfold it.

Hope you have a good trip.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,424 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Boarding pass questoin

Take the whole sheet with you, your usually need to scan in before you enter the security area (depends on the airport). when actually boarding the plane the staff will tear off the part they nee and hand you back the rest which you will need as your board and to find your seat.

Louisville, Kentucky
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Boarding pass questoin

Okay, thank you for quick replies.

I'll bring the whole sheet.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,247 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boarding pass questoin

Enjoy your trip.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,665 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boarding pass questoin

Do you have other questions? We are always game.

If you're checking luggage, you go to your airline ticket counter to check it. If not, you go to the TSA security checkpoint. You'll need the boarding pass and your ID for the TSA checkpoint and then you just go through the screening. Study their rules about liquids and allowable limits well before lest they confiscate any of your heath and beauty aids. (I saw some poor lady have to leave tons of expensive products behind.) Wear simple clothes and shoes that are easy to take off. Don't wear a lot of jewelry or stuff like accessories that you'll have to take off for screening.

You'll need the boarding pass again at the gate when it's time to board. Watch the monitors to confirm the location of your gate. Every once in a while, they move the gate. Plan to be at the gate area well in advance of boarding time.

If you're traveling a long distance or at mealtime, pick up a snack in the terminal as airlines don't feed you very much and the terminal will have a better selection than the food for purchase that they may have.

Happy travels!

Edited: 5:37 pm, November 18, 2013
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,665 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boarding pass questoin

...oops sorry.. they don't move the gate! They may move the plane! It could at first say gate C6 and then it turns out to be C10 or something like that. That doesn't happen a lot but it's happened enough for me to mention it. I check the monitors and find the gate before I go wandering around looking at newstands or buying snacks.

Have fun.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
17,976 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boarding pass questoin

Just to add, I always print a couple of copies of my boarding pass just incase I misplace a copy of one of them.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,763 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boarding pass questoin

In the USA at least if you do lose it, you can reprint it at any self service kiosk or counter. If you lose it after security, they can reprint it at the gate for you. I have learned this from personal experience.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
36,288 posts
934 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boarding pass questoin

Atlas,

As others have stated, you do not need to tear the pass. On United Airlines, mine are about 1/2 of the sheet, so a fold is handy. It is the bar code, that is most important.

Do not be alarmed, if the gate agent does not tear your pass - sometimes, that happens, but not all that often on domestic (US) flights. The scanner does the work, and you have the full, folded pass.

Allow adequate time to check baggage, if necessary, then pass through TSA checkpoint.

I strongly agree about checking what is/is not allowed, before packing for your trip. Most US airlines' Web sites either have lists of items, in specific detail, or have links to the TSA Web site. Do a bit of reading, and planning, prior to packing - especially for any carry-on luggage.

A bit of time usually makes for a more relaxing flight, at least for us.

Along with the tips on what to wear, going through the TSA screening, I also recommend wearing socks, as many do not, and I am not sure where their bear feet have been. Also, shoes, that slip on, and off, can make that process easier. I see folk with lace-to-the-knee boots, and they take a lot of time getting out of, then back into those. I always fly in loafers, even where I have PreCheck, that does not (usually) require me to take them off.

As my wife has two artificial hips, if she does not go through a scanner, she WILL get a pat-down. She always wears pants, to make that easier. Another reason for a bit more time.

Travel safely, and have a grand time. While flying is not what it once was, it can still be fun. Have fun.

Louisville, Kentucky
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Boarding pass questoin

Thank you all so very much for wonderful suggestions and advice. I will be sure to follow them all.