We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lose the last leg of my flight will result in any extra fees

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lose the last leg of my flight will result in any extra fees

I have a British Airways flight that will make a stop at London (from Rio de Janeiro) and then continue to Lisbon.

However, due to some issues, I need to stay in London a few days, but when I asked about changing my flight, I found the fees to be really expensive.

So what I'm hoping to do is basically "miss" my connecting flight to Lisbon and simply taking another air line (1-way) back to Lisbon after I'm done.

Now I'm just wondering do I need to tell british that I'm going to just "miss" my flight when I get to Lisbon? Or should I just leave?

Also, has anyone ever been hit with a fee for not taking a flight? (That's the last LEG!)

(Please note that I'm not trying to get british airways to rebook me or anything. And I'm also not expecting a refund for missing the flight. I just want to make sure I don't get hit with additional fees for purposely not making the flight. Likewise I do not expect to receive miles for any of the legs of the journey.)

Many thanks for any advice!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,973 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lose the last leg of my flight will result in any extra fees

They'd be within their rights to charge you the difference from whatv you paid to the cost of the ticket without the last leg, which you said is a lot more. Don't know whether they'd do it, but they could.

There's other issues. If there's a delay, they could re route you to Lisbon without going through London. And you can't check a bag.

2. Re: Lose the last leg of my flight will result in any extra fees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, November 16, 2013
newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,019 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lose the last leg of my flight will result in any extra fees

Who will pick up your luggage in Lisbon, if you check luggage in at the start of your journey ?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,246 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lose the last leg of my flight will result in any extra fees

The luggage will likely get offloaded if the PAX is a no show for the final leg - or at least it should be if security is working as designed.

As for the PAX being able to claim it back at LHR without issue is another matter.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lose the last leg of my flight will result in any extra fees

1, The airline entered into a contract with you, and you with them

2. Under that contract, they need not fly via London, in the event of changes for any reason

3. They will check your bags through. Your bags will continue to Lisbon without you

4. It's normal to make a charge to change plus an increase in price to current figures

5. Don't mess with BA - get a cheap next day flight Lisbon to London and return!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lose the last leg of my flight will result in any extra fees

I would personally just miss it and not tell them, but to do this, you would need to not have checked a bag, as that will be tagged through to lisbon. If you tell them you want to collect your bag in London, you could be charged the fee difference.

Although theoretically they could hunt you down and charge you for just missing ( ie no checked bag) the odds are very low and I would risk it personally.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,523 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lose the last leg of my flight will result in any extra fees

As stated above, the luggage is an issue.

In general I would expect airlines to go after agents who would do this with many clients. If you do it once only, I would think this is low risk. There are claims that there have been charges to the credit card for missing the last leg. To which extent this is an urban legend or the truth, I cannot comment.

However, should the airline charge your credit card, they would have all the rights.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lose the last leg of my flight will result in any extra fees

Before landing London, pretend u have medical emergency, you decide your medical emergency, better be a good one, and tell them to take off your bags too, once you are done with airline, say I feel better now.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,540 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lose the last leg of my flight will result in any extra fees

How about simply continuing on to Lisbon, then flying straight back. It shouldn't be too expensive and you are already planning to buy a one-way ticket anyway. Certainly cheaper than changing your flight, and if you do have checked luggage there really isn't any other option.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lose the last leg of my flight will result in any extra fees

I know people often state that they could charge you, but in 18 years of being an agent I've never actually seen it done. (and when we've done it, we've never been charged and when we book through consolidators and they've suggested it to bring the fare down, still no charge). It is done all the time and people don't get charged for it. Other than the luggage issue, I would do it and not worry about it. Just don't check luggage and you will have no problem.