We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airline Lost Luggage

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Airline Lost Luggage

Do you think the compensation is fair enough, when the Airline loose your luggage.?

KLM lost all our for 4 days and never explained where it got lost. the stress was enormous, not knowing when it would turn up or maybe not at all. We were 300 miles away when they told us it had turned up, at the airport.

The compensation was 2 vouchers of 100 euros each.

They did pay for some emergency cloths we needed to buy them though. Not the same as having your own new holiday things is it.?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
96 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Airline Lost Luggage

Ultimately the airline's T's & C's will govern how much they compensate you....CDG is a black hole for luggage, I have had my bags delayed twice while transitting there, hence I now transit via other airports.

Having luggage delayed is a major inconvenience....none of us will "lug" a +20kg bag along on business or holiday just because we need the excercise, we obviously planned on having it's contents available to us, but it is a fact of life that bags miss connections.

What I would appreciate is if there was some kind of notification that the bags are delayed, I mean other than the conveyor eventually stopping empty and you left standing there like fool looking forward to an hour of debate with the baggage services personnel. If there was a sign with the baggage tag # for all delayed bags from that flight at least you know, you can get the formalities done and head to your hotel right away.

UK
Level Contributor
6,905 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Airline Lost Luggage

QuadCacher, they won't necessarily know that your baggage hasn't made it onto your flight until you report it missing. Depends on exactly where it is at that point. Unless it's already been found, and the tag scanned into the "missing bags" system, they won't know it's missing until you report it missing.

I've reported bags missing and been told, instantly, "It's in Amsterdam and it will be loaded onto flight KL....", I've had other occasions where it was a case of "We'll let you know as soon as we hear anything".

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,679 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Airline Lost Luggage

QuadCacher is right.

It would be a nice service for premium cabins to see on your screen "Dear Guest, we have loaded 2 of 2 bags". The technology is here. It would cost a bit more but then I would prefer this than the usual frequent flyer welcome back talk.

It happened to me last week that the belt stopped and I did not have my luggage. But then it started again and my luggage came. Never was that happy to see my luggage.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Airline Lost Luggage

CDG is a black hole for luggage

--------------------------

Same applies for DXB.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Airline Lost Luggage

You should calm down. When losing happen, clients just can wait and wait. Sometimes, you do not receive any information

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,518 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Airline Lost Luggage

<Do you think the compensation is fair enough, when the Airline loose your luggage.?>

Yes. And for those of us who have lost luggage forever (including myself), the compensation is generally acceptable, as well. They reimbursed your emergency expenses and gave you 200 euro, as well. Not saying it was not stressful, but *it happens.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Airline Lost Luggage

It would seem logical that there is a greater risk that your luggage will not arrive with you if you have to change planes. Last year to changed planes four times to reach Istanbul. One of those changes was a 50 minute connection. We packed our carry-ons appropriately because we were thinking our luggage might not make the plane. Of course it did.

On the two occasions when we have had a delay in the arrival of our luggage, it has been on a short-term flights directly between SFO and SLC and SLC to SFO. So there are really no guarantees that luggage is safe on a short and direct flight.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,027 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Airline Lost Luggage

If you want more, check your credit card insurance. They may give you something as well, mine would.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Airline Lost Luggage

They Did Not give us 200 Euro's... it was two Vouchers...like my wife has said since, do we really want to fly with KLM again.

Fact is the route from the Cardiff ..UK to San Francisco (Oakland) was none to clever either.

I had no idea about the actual route the plan was taking us on.....it took us to Portland then another flight down to Oakland adding 2 hours flight time.

It was only after when I looked to see where Portland was.( Seattle for return flight) I realised why the flight time from A - B was so long. Not very clever. Oh by the way Portland told us the luggage was lost.

UK
Level Contributor
6,905 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Airline Lost Luggage

You mean - you booked a flight without looking at the routing? That's always the first thing I do, to make sure that I know...

- how many flights I'm taking

- what airlines I'm flying with

- how long my connecting times are

- whether or not any airport changes are involved (I've been offered routes that would have had me taking a bus from one Paris airport to another)

I don't know who you booked with, but the information is normally easily accessible - usually just a case of clicking on a link in the itinerary. Some booking sites even show all the stops without you having to click on any links.

KLM fly direct to SFO, so there would have been no need to go round the houses (unless the direct flight was full, or only available at the most expensive fare)