We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair - Checking bags

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ryanair - Checking bags

Hello,

I just bought a ticket with Ryanair from London to Cork but I didn't select the option to add a checked bag. I was stupid and I assumed the bags they allowed to be taken in cabin would be similar to other airlines and I assumed my backpack(for backpacking) would be safe. Upon further research I found that the tallest something can be is 55cm. I am very concerned since I do not have 60 euros to throw around in the case it doesn't meet their requirement. Fellow backpackers, what have you done and what would you suggest I do?

Thanks

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,314 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Ryanair - Checking bags

They enforce bag size (and just about everything else) super mega strictly. Be aware for example, assuming you have a US passport, you *must* get it checked and have your boarding pass stamped before going through security. Or you will not fly. Of course you will check in online and print your boarding pass.

You have read the rules. Follow them to the last letter and you will be fine.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,840 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Ryanair - Checking bags

<<There is a airline near me that never enforces its restrictions>>

I think you should change this to "There is a airline near me that hasn't enforced its restrictions when I flown with them SO FAR".

You never know when there might be an attitude change and suddenly, you're at check-in or the gate and you're told 'sorry Sir, your bag is too big'.

It wouldn't make any difference for you to say 'But I've always used this bag and never had a problem before'.

I always find it best to follow the airline's rules and be confident that my bag will go with me on the plane and I won't be asked for any more money.

I think it's sensible to add the bag before you fly. Have a good one.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,069 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Ryanair - Checking bags

Ryanair is Ryanair! they will do anything to charge you more, so their weight limits and sizes will be strictly enforced. the reason for max height is to ensure when stored in overhead lockers, the doors of the lockers can be closed.

I seem to remember that mr Ryanair said that he was reducing the charge for checked baggage to 30€, but I am not sure from when.

ps. don't forget the limits on liquids and creams. if you have anything over 100ml that you need, you would have to check in your bag.

Edited: 7:13 am, November 14, 2013
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
32,802 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Ryanair - Checking bags

I wish more airlines were as strict as Ryanair. At least then you know exactly where you stand (providing you can be bothered to read) and there are no 'grey' areas. Everything is quite clear on their website, and the umpteen emails you receive prior to your flight.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,558 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Ryanair - Checking bags

Kelsey, kudos to you for asking questions before taking the flight. Good luck with your Ryanair flight. I think you have done the right thing and checked your bag in. This airline is mega strict with both bag weight and size so even if you have checked it make sure it doesn't go one iota over.

16. Re: Ryanair - Checking bags

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 16, 2014