We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kudos on good tripadvisor.es, etc. features. Why not here?

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
650 reviews
Save Topic
Kudos on good tripadvisor.es, etc. features. Why not here?

I see that TA Air Travel forums in other languages have features, lacking on the English language site (e.g. here) - to improve the organization and usefulness of those forums. Here are a couple of examples:

1. A pinned note linking to threads organizing reviews of individual airlines:

tripadvisor.es/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k5497593-…

Though that setup is IMHO much lower-tech and useful than, say, offered by Skytrax, it greatly improves the organization of airline reviews on TA, and helps members to quickly answer questions on recent experiences with individual airlines. This board's disorganized individual postings of rants and raves verges on less-than-useless compared to that simple yet almost elegant option on Spanish language TA sites. (Kudos to Veronica_TripAdv for doing this!)

2. A pinned note offering tips on route enhancements:

tripadvisor.it/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k5926413-…

This has 330 entries for this year. Certainly, TA members active in Italian view that thread as useful.

Such features show that one can somewhat overcome the low-tech of TA forums, to make at least some progress toward improved structure and usefulness. Now - how could the English language Air Travel forum be improved - catalyzed by such ideas?

The English language TA Air Travel forum has several "Top Questions" but no pinned "sticky" threads. I believe that examples 1 and 2 above, rephrased in English, would make better "stickies" than "Top Questions" merely because of their strategic placement.....

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,049 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kudos on good tripadvisor.es, etc. features. Why not here?

It is no good raising these questions in this forum, as TA staff generally do not read forum posts: there are far too many of them. Try posting in the TA Support forum: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12105-TripAdvi…

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,193 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kudos on good tripadvisor.es, etc. features. Why not here?

Useful suggestions for debate. My two cents -

I prefer stickies that introduce people to the forum and provide guidelines (prominently suggest people use the Search facility, and point people to the Top Questions). A very good example is the Hong Kong forum (kudos to SammyFloyd & co), which has the right balance of stickies and a ton of very useful top questions. - tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g294217-i1496-Hong…

As regards Earthling's two suggestions. (a) I'm not a fan of having airline review pages or a TA section for airlines as sadly the vast majority of posts are rants, and there isn't enough critical mass on here to get balanced reviews. (b) The route enhancements thread on the Italian language forum is very Italy specific; all routes I saw were XYZ - Italy. Fine for a "single country" focused forum, but this one covers many more countries, and hence routes and airlines.

My view only.

3. Re: Kudos on good tripadvisor.es, etc. features. Why not here?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 07, 2014