We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair returns to allocated seats for all

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
6,995 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Ryanair returns to allocated seats for all

Hi all,

I read this in the paper this morning, wonder if it will be implemented or if it's another of MOL's PR stunts.

independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-slashe…

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,439 posts
478 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryanair returns to allocated seats for all

Well passengers might be fed up with MOL's policies. And shareholders might be too if profits are declining. And competition now knows how to deal with Ryanair (Aer Lingus being a good example). So seeing MOL following easyjet's move does make sense to me...

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,551 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryanair returns to allocated seats for all

Confirmed by MOL in BBC interview this am. From 1st April there will be seat allocation but you will still be able to pay for preferred seating.

Looks like PB will go but I wonder whether it will be replaced by a board early queue for those who have paid for chosen seats?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,780 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryanair returns to allocated seats for all

It's mentioned in the official half year results so I highly doubt it's a stunt (wouldn't be a very good one either). I'm surprised it's taken them so long to implement it since it will bring in revenue without any downsides (that I can see anyway).

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,551 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryanair returns to allocated seats for all

Quote:

3. Allocated Seating

Ryanair is pleased to announce in today’s results that it will from 1 Feb 2014 move to fully allocated seating on all Ryanair flights, making the boarding process smoother, and enabling families or other groups to ensure that they sit together. Passengers will still be able to choose our popular reserved seating service (select front row or over-wing seats), or alternatively select seats elsewhere on the aircraft, as long as they check-in more than 24 hours prior to the date of departure. All passengers who don’t wish to pay a small fee (€5) to select their preferred seats will be allocated seats during the 24 hours prior to the date of scheduled departure. This return to allocated seating is Ryanair’s response to the enormous demand from our customers in recent weeks via Ryanair’s “Tell MOL” customer feedback initiative. Ryanair’s decision to launch fully allocated seating is also part of the airline’s commitment to listen to its customers, and improve its industry leading customer service which comprises Europe’s lowest air fares, most on-time flights, fewest lost bags, and fewest customer complaints.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryanair returns to allocated seats for all

The difference between allocated seating and the good old "free for all" is time:

Once people know where they are sitting they tend to slow down there is no rush anymore to get the best available.

Early boarding makes no difference now, other than kids and elderly to get them seated and out of the way

The past mentality of "first in best dressed" will see paying to select your seat bring in more revenue if marketed correctly (priced under competitors for starters so it doesn't look like a cash grab).

Edited: 6:12 am, November 04, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,780 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ryanair returns to allocated seats for all

"The difference between allocated seating and the good old "free for all" is time: "

I know that was the original reason for it but has it actually been proved that it makes a difference? I don't believe easyJet have increased their turn-around times after switching to allocated seating. That suggests to me that if there's a difference it's negligible.

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ryanair returns to allocated seats for all

Hi

Well apart from the luggage rules which are so strict. The boarding was the pit's on Ryanair. It will make me consider flying with them now, rather than a last resort.

Clive

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,170 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ryanair returns to allocated seats for all

Does this mean we'll start getting people posting complaints that the airline purposely seated them separately, just to make them pay so they can sit together?

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ryanair returns to allocated seats for all

I would think so LeylandSunaddict. They do it all the time with Thomson / Thomas Cook flights.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,124 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ryanair returns to allocated seats for all

>>Ryanair recently introduced a number of changes including reserved seating, the halving of the cost of checking bags, the slashing the fee for reprinting boarding passes and allowing a small second carry-on bag for free.

It also rolled out a major overhaul of its website to cut pop-ups and a security puzzle that customers had to complete to prove they were not automated users trawling the site.<<

Well well well. Maybe I will start flying them again now that they seem to be listening to customer reaction. It is amazing how much effect a drop in share price and profit forecasts can have.

I seriously doubt that having no allocated seating and the resultant scrum made any difference to turnaround times. In fact If I have a seat allocated I tend to wait until everyone else has gone through especially if my seat is near the back or front of the plane.

IME people used to take the seats at the front/ rear first then hold everyone else up putting their bag/coat/everything they own in the ovehead.