We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAX-PHL - 2 flight numbers is the connection at my risk.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
LAX-PHL - 2 flight numbers is the connection at my risk.

Hi I'm feeling paranoid about missing flights at the moment! I'm looking at a flight from LAX to Philadelphia - Delta has a cheap price - but there is connection via Raleigh/NC. There is only 43 minutes between flights.

If we miss the connection because of late arrival of the first flight will they put as on a later flight at no extra charge? (We are looking at hte cheapest economy seats). The flight ex LAX is 10:30pm and ex Raleigh is 7:00am

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,234 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LAX-PHL - 2 flight numbers is the connection at my risk.

If its ticketed on one ticket with Delta, the onus is on them if you don't make the connection.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,879 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LAX-PHL - 2 flight numbers is the connection at my risk.

Assuming the ticket is being bought from Delta it will be a legal connection and whilst on the short side you could still make it as long as your flight from LAX is on time - if you miss it then Delta will get you on the next flight with AVAILABLE seats at no cost.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LAX-PHL - 2 flight numbers is the connection at my risk.

It's a single price which came up when I looked for LAX-PHL - on their site. So it sounds like I'd be covered. I'm guessing Raleigh isn't a huge a airport - they seem to have 6 flights a day and we don't have to make a connection in Phil so this looks like a good option. Can't argue with $170 across the country!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,785 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LAX-PHL - 2 flight numbers is the connection at my risk.

It's not a big airport. The key word is available. Many flights are full these days. They won't bump others off the plane so you can get a seat. And keep in mind, if things are late and you are missing a connection, so probably are other people so there will be other delayed travelers also pleading their case to get on any available flight.

That said, if you don't mind the hassle of a potential delay and can live with a few hours in the airport, then go ahead and book it. If you've got some super critical appointment in LAX that you can't miss like a job interview, international flight, etc., then don't risk it.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LAX-PHL - 2 flight numbers is the connection at my risk.

No nothing critical going this direction -we are coming off an international flight - so the only thing we are heading to in PHil is a bed and a shower with relatives. I can't find any non-stop flights LAX-PHL for any price. Most others connect via NY or Washington or Boston - so the smaller center connection appeals more.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,961 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LAX-PHL - 2 flight numbers is the connection at my risk.

You can't find any non-stop flights LAX-PHL? Have you checked US Airways? I think they have something like six per day?

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LAX-PHL - 2 flight numbers is the connection at my risk.

Must admit I hadn't checked US Airways - I was working down a list of "best airlines in the US" and they didn't feature - they do have a direct red eye for not much more than Delta!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,785 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LAX-PHL - 2 flight numbers is the connection at my risk.

Philadelphia is a US Airways hub. They have tons of flights from Philly to everywhere.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LAX-PHL - 2 flight numbers is the connection at my risk.

Did you check Southwest Airlines and Air Tran (recently purchased by Southwest)? Did you check luggage fees? Luggage fees can be onerous in the U.S., and Southwest offers the best deals.

Southwest, one of the largest U.S. airlines, only offers flights on its own website. Southwest typically offers connecting flights.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,817 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LAX-PHL - 2 flight numbers is the connection at my risk.

Also, if this is the same day as your int'l flight arrival (I wasn't sure from your post), you need to leave enough time between your int'l arrival and the LAX-PHL flight as that connection will not be protected if it's on 2 tickets.