We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have you ever boarded a flight to the wrong destination?

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  What's this?
Save Topic
Have you ever boarded a flight to the wrong destination?

Hi everyone, James from the TripAdvisor press office here.

Some of you may have read a story this week about a British woman who has booked into the wrong flight and ended up boarding a plane to Grenada, when she believed she was heading to Granada: www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-24705723

We were just wondering if any of you have had a similar airport mishaps - have you ever been booked on the wrong flight by a travel agent or misread your flight ticket? If so, at what point did you realise the mistake?

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,977 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have you ever boarded a flight to the wrong destination?

No - I check and double check!

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,084 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Have you ever boarded a flight to the wrong destination?

Not me but a guy I worked with held a ticket for Charleston SC from Chicago and ended up in Charleston West Virginia. Think he flew out of Midway but don't remember the airline, this would have been about fifteen years or so ago.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11,740 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have you ever boarded a flight to the wrong destination?

I almost did once, years ago at (I think) Stansted. People started gathering at the announced gate for my flight. I couldn't see the monitor but remember glancing at another passenger's boarding-pass next to me and it had my destination on it so I assumed I was in the right place. Made it through the gate check and was happily on my way down the stairs before a member of staff came running after me.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
37,657 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have you ever boarded a flight to the wrong destination?

Well, not quite the same, but in college a classmate offered me a ride to the airport in Washington DC which was three hours from the school, so I was thrilled to save the shuttle fare- until I found out on arriving there was more than one Airport that served the area and she had taken me to a different one than my flight left from. It must have been a kinder gentler time for airlines, because my memory is that the counter staff took pity on me and changed me to a flight that left from that airport at no charge - I would never have made it to the other airport in time- in those days you didn't have to be in the airport so early( pre TSA).

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
6,401 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Have you ever boarded a flight to the wrong destination?

Yes, something like that happened to me about 15 years ago. I was booked on a business trip to Mexico and at the last minute I decided to add a couple of day holidays in the Dominican Republic. Therefore, on the day of departure, I went to the airline ticket office at the airport in Germany and asked if it is possible to change the routing / tickets accordingly.

After a short check I was told I could add a stop in the Dominican Republic on the way back to Germany, but had to make a transit in Miami on the flight from Mexico City to the Dominican Republic. As the additional price was acceptable I ask the lady to book the changes. I got the new tickets and off I went to Mexico.

Luckily it turned out that I had to extend my business trip for a couple of days and therefore asked a secretary to check if I could change the date of my flight to the Dominican Republic. She looked at my ticket and said with a big surprise: “But you are not booked to the Dominican Republic!!!”.

When I looked at the ticket I realized that the lady at the airport had booked me to San Jose in Puerto Rico. Luckily that mistake was rectified right then and there.

However, at that time I was not aware that there are two international airports in the Dominican Republic and again it was sheer luck that I landed in Santa Domingo, which was the one close to my booked hotel.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,270 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Have you ever boarded a flight to the wrong destination?

Years ago I was flying from DTW to TVC on a commuter plane. At that time you walked from the terminal to the plane and there were several departing near the same time. Once airborne the lady next to me asked how long till we arrived at APN? I said this flight is going to TVC. Apparantly since they counted heads of how many were ticketed someone else was on the wrong plane and going to APN instead of TVC as the count was correct for both flights. The FA said no problem, it happens all the time and they would either fly her back to DTW or put her in a cab and drive her across the state.

Edited: 8:54 am, October 29, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have you ever boarded a flight to the wrong destination?

I was on a plane where this happend about 10 years ago, departing from Ottawa to Halifax, as the doors closed and we commenced pushing off, the pilot came on speakers with the usual "welcome to flight numbe "***", en route tto Halifax...." at that moment a women two rows up jumped up and yelled.. "Halifax!!!, Im supposed to be going to Toronto!!!! ".... after much commotion, the plane returned to the gate and disembarked the passenger.

I also seem to remember a story in the paper a few years back about a woman ( I beleive from South America) who booked a flight to Sydney Australia, but ended up in Sydney Nova Scotia, Canada.....

Edited: 9:00 am, October 29, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
25,625 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Have you ever boarded a flight to the wrong destination?

James K,

I hope you realize there's already a thread discussing this subject, right?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k6949865…

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Have you ever boarded a flight to the wrong destination?

Hi

seems like all the post are from 10 to 15 yrs ago

with modern tech and constant security checks I think it would be very hard for the airlines to put you on allow you on the wrong flight. but there is still human area and if you book the wrong flight because you get the name wrong then yes it is possible

tucson, az
Level Contributor
3,591 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Have you ever boarded a flight to the wrong destination?

I dunno how apocryphal it is but I know that the Panama guidebook cautions you to make sure your plane is going to Panama City, Panama and not Panama City, Florida because people have been known to book the wrong arrival city. I sometimes wonder if they wonder why they're taking a puddle-jumper and not a big jet....