We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is two hours enough?

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
491 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
Is two hours enough?

To pick up bags,clear immigration and check in for my new flight in another terminal

Flying Air Asia from Bali( so bags have to be picked up) and continuing on to Kuching on Malaysia

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is two hours enough?

Are you asking for advice whether you should book such a tight connection? I'd say, absolutely not.

Or did you already book and want to know if on the day it will be enough time? I doubt it but no one will know until the day.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
491 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is two hours enough?

I know it was a tight connection.I originally had a 5 hour layover with Singapore air but they cancelled my flight and I had to rebook on another airline. a few days ago

I think i will just book an earlier flight leaving Bali and just absorb the loss of the flight I booked

It's cheaper than the change fees

But thanks for confirming what i already suspected

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
3,000 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is two hours enough?

Judik

If you're talking about Kuala Lumpur airport its not simple going from one terminal to another as its about a 20km trip. Its basically 2 different airports so give yourself plenty of time.

Kind regards

Jim

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
361 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is two hours enough?

Which airport are you transferring through? It will either be Kuala Lumpur or Singapore.

If you are transferring via Kuala Lumpur, you have no chance of making the connection as Air Asia use the Low Cost Carrier Terminal.

If your transfer is via Singapore, you would probably make the connection. But (and it's a big, Alabama sized BUT), this all subject to your inbound flight being on time. It would be a calculated risk making such a connection. 9/10, it is fine. Are you prepared to risk that 1/10 chance?

Personally, I would not take the risk.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is two hours enough?

A good point in post 3, if you are flying into KL on AA and out of KL on AM, they use entirely different airports, you'd want to allow a LOT of time between flights and 2 hours is impossible.

I'd suggest 5 hours minimum (1 hour deplane & immigration & baggage, 1 hour transfer, get there 2 hours ahead, 1 hour contingency).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
874 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is two hours enough?

If everything goes your way, three hours will get you through.

I actually managed it in2 hrs 40mins back in January but everything went like clockwork. I probably wouldn't risk that again.

I've heard of people taking around 4 hours as an average on the KL forum.

Change flights if possible..

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is two hours enough?

Question,,,,>>is two hours enough<<

Answer....>>if everything goes your way, three hours will get you through<<

That'd be a no, then,,,:-))

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
874 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is two hours enough?

Correct Froggy .........in regard to the ops original question

However.....based on the ops response at #2 regarding booking an earlier flight I thought that info may have been useful :)

So, as a matter of interest, what's your answer to the ops post?

Edited: 5:27 am, October 28, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is two hours enough?

It would be a no,,,

Edited: 5:44 am, October 28, 2013
Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
491 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is two hours enough?

My bad,I failed to mention I am transiting through Changi. *hangs head*

But if Air Asia is late,I could be sweating it and hate that feeling.Booked the earlier flight on Air Asia and now have almost 5 hours

Funny thing is that I am only out $36 which is the difference between my cancelled air Asia flight and the difference in price when I rebooked with another airline after Singapore air cancelled my flight which cause this mess in the first place

WooHoo!

I do know about KL airport.Coming in I paid a bit more for a flight to get to Bali so I could fly out of the same terminal I flew into which is the main terminal.