We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EK upgrades using Skywards miles

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
279 reviews
Save Topic
EK upgrades using Skywards miles

We are planning to purchase business class tickets and it seems prices have increased quite a bit since our last trip. However, we have enough miles to upgrade the Mel-DXB (or reverse) leg of the trip. My understanding is that we must book economy and then try to use the miles to upgrade. Is this risky? Is there a chance we may not be able to upgrade?

I will phone EK for advice, but some feedback from those with first hand experience at this would be most welcome. This is the 1st time we have had enough miles to use.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,757 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: EK upgrades using Skywards miles

@ Bronia

Upgrade options with saver tickets depend on the itinerary and the pax load factor. However it will show at the time of booking as “Check-in reward upgrade only”.

@ hadiwi56a

The charge for phone booking is really small. In Dubai it is AED 100 (around 27 US). The advantage of this is that you can book and upgrade in one go (given seat availability). But - as usual - you need some patience with Emirates service center.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: EK upgrades using Skywards miles

But - as usual - you need some patience with Emirates service center.>>>>>the Melbourne service centre is wonderful

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: EK upgrades using Skywards miles

Truly jagjetfly? Do you have their number? I usually use 1300303777, the number shown on their website. Plan to book in a day for 2 so we will see how we go.

Would love to book the whole trip business class and use the upgrade to first, but oh the prices this year!

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: EK upgrades using Skywards miles

If you are booking during business hours and are in Melbourne you should get the Melbourne centre. And there is no booking fee or credit card charge and free seat selection!!

If you are a registered FF they know who you are when you call as your number brings up your details. I was amazed when I rang with a query. No need to go through getting names and details right...so very painless.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: EK upgrades using Skywards miles

Thanks jagjetflyl Ah, during business hours my hubby is at work so we always do our bookings after hours. I might see what I can do though, it sounds very convenient.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: EK upgrades using Skywards miles

Thanks for the info everyone, just thought I would send an update.

It turned out that there were no upgradeable seats avail on any of our flights, so we have booked business all the way (ouch!). I will keep checking for a possible upgrade to 1st, but the message was that they were all sold out. We have just left things too late.

jagjetfly - rang in business hours and if that was the Melb call centre, I have to agree with you. They were brilliant, took care of everything, flights, cars, even a birthday cake ! An absolute pleasure to deal with. Thanks for the tip.

17. Re: EK upgrades using Skywards miles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 31, 2014