We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best backpack for carry-on luggage when traveling in the UK?

Missouri
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Best backpack for carry-on luggage when traveling in the UK?

I am trying to find a good backpack for traveling in the UK. My husband and I are planning on traveling to in May 2014, we are going to spend 17 days in the UK and are hoping to go to Ireland, England and Scotland. We are planning on flying into Dublin (since it is the cheapest place to fly into) and then fly from Dublin to London,possibly take a train from London to Edinburgh and then take a plane from Edinburgh to Dublin.

We are going to pack light and just take a backpack each that we want to fit under the requirement for carry-on, the question is which backpack is the ideal choice? We both really like the Osprey Talon 44, we measured it and could get the S/M one down to what the max measurements are,but the M/L is a half an inch to an inch too big height wise. Will they actually measure the bag when we get there? I know in America most airlines are not huge sticklers about size (within reason),but I don't want to assume that about other airlines.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best backpack for carry-on luggage when traveling in the UK?

Depends on which airlines you intend to fly.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,165 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best backpack for carry-on luggage when traveling in the UK?

What airlines are you planning to use, and yes the LCC's in Europe will measure and weigh.

Even if they didn't for someone else don't assume they won't for you.

Missouri
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best backpack for carry-on luggage when traveling in the UK?

We are looking into flying British Airways, Aer Lingus and possibly Air France.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best backpack for carry-on luggage when traveling in the UK?

Those airlines may have a bit nore wiggle room, but you cannot count on it for everyone on the day. And airlines use a "cage" which they can use to check your baggage dimensions - it's literally a bix the size of the max dimensions and your bag MUST fit into it. Not always used, but they exist

UK
Level Contributor
3,188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best backpack for carry-on luggage when traveling in the UK?

We have flown with BA twice so far this year and both times they looked at our cabin luggage at the bag drop counter. Last time (Sept) OH's bag looked like it could be over the limit , but was in fact under, so they gave him a label for the bag so that it would not be queried at the gate. They were examining luggage at the gate.

Edited: 6:47 am, October 26, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,048 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best backpack for carry-on luggage when traveling in the UK?

If you are flying from Scotland to Dublin then be aware that Aer Lingus use ATR72 turboprops mostly on this route (some flights are on an Airbus). The ATR's have a much smaller cabin and more restricted carry on so do please check that out.

Missouri
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best backpack for carry-on luggage when traveling in the UK?

Good to know.Sounds like we should not chance it with a slightly larger bag.

derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best backpack for carry-on luggage when traveling in the UK?

Stick to the required size and you won't go wrong. Having said that, it irritates me when I see other passengers boarding with huge bags, much larger than the stipulated size. Personally I find the inconsistency of airlines the most frustrating, but better than having to pay extra due to oversized bags.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,669 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best backpack for carry-on luggage when traveling in the UK?

18.5" x 13" x 8", and weighing less than 15lb is the limit on aer lingus regional flights. this is substantially less generous than british airways. don't forget, the liquids rule applies to all flights, and includes aerosols.

Missouri
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best backpack for carry-on luggage when traveling in the UK?

Good to remember.So if I am flying from Ireland to England with Aer Lingus would the measurements be 18.5*13*8?