We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin to Auckland via Dubai & Australia -Need transit visa?

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
66 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin to Auckland via Dubai & Australia -Need transit visa?

I am due to fly to Auckland in the New Year and am flying via Dubai & Melbourne on the way out and Perth & Dubai on the way back.

As far as I can see I don't need a transit visa for Dubai.

But I can't seem to figure out the visa required for Australia, my layover will be 5 hours in Melbourne and 8 hours in Perth. thought I might do a bit of sightseeing in Perth on the layover if possible here. I checked the Australia government visa's website but still can't really make out if I need one or not.

ANyone have any ideas?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin to Auckland via Dubai & Australia -Need transit visa?

If you want to leave the airport you will need a visa.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin to Auckland via Dubai & Australia -Need transit visa?

http://australia.gov.au/people/tourists/visas

if you will remain in transit area no...if you want leave the transit area you will need one....8 hours in transit is a long time

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
332 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin to Auckland via Dubai & Australia -Need transit visa?

You might as well get one anyway, you can get an evisitor visa for Australia for free on line. It may come in handy because if for any reason your flight is cancelled and they put you in a hotel landside you won't be able to go you will have to remain airside so for any transit in Oz I'd advise a visa.

Hope that helps

Jo

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin to Auckland via Dubai & Australia -Need transit visa?

Make sure you apply on the Government site do not use an external Visa service site they charge heaps

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,341 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin to Auckland via Dubai & Australia -Need transit visa?

As has been said, you need one to leave the transit lounge or if your stay is greater than eight hours. A Transit Visa is free, but has to be applied for in writing.

It is far easier as an Irish passport holder (and for most other Europeans) to apply for an eVisitor visa (also free) using the Aus government's visa wizard webpage: http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard/

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
66 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin to Auckland via Dubai & Australia -Need transit visa?

Thanks a million for all your help guys!! Took me a while to find my thread again to say thanks!! Will get on it asap, don't fancy being stuck in the airport if my flight is delayed!!

Thanks again

7. Re: Dublin to Auckland via Dubai & Australia -Need transit visa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, November 12, 2014