We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emirates hand baggage.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
580 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Emirates hand baggage.

We are travelling to Sydney in November having booked with Emirates but its a Qantas operated flight. On the Emirates website it states just 1 item of hand baggage with the dimensions explained clearly. I don't have a problem with that but on the Qantas website it also states that along with the 1 bag you may also carry a handbag. Has anyone travelled on the EK5102 out of Heathrow to Dubai then EK5002 on to Sydney recently who can tell me if a handbag is also allowed through check in as I don't want to go over on my weight allowance. Thanks in anticipation.

179 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,093 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Emirates hand baggage.

This handbag question comes up a bit as most airlines allow a bag or umbrella or laptop. If you are concerned just pop your handbag into your carry-on and take it out at your seat, there are no rules to say you can't do that.

Nottingham...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Emirates hand baggage.

Hello,

I am faced with same question as I am travelling with Emirates to Bombay via Dubai. The problem is their website does not mention whether personal items (like camera /laptop etc) are inclusive in the 7 kgfs. Usually for other airlines it us not. When they weigh your hand luggage they specifically instruct to remove camera and laptop. But I called Emirates and they say that laptop , camera etc must all be within 7kgs. That is ridiculous. Just one laptop, ipad and a dslr with lens will easily be around 5 kgs and 1 kgs at least the weight of the bag i am carrying. This is so unfair...... I dont mind carrying this in one piece but atleast be flexible about the weight.... ! its not like I will be taking +7 kgs but now i am faced with a dilemma with what to do..... i was planning to carry some gifts I really didnt want to keep in checked bag .

Edited: 11:38 am, May 29, 2014
newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11,954 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Emirates hand baggage.

Economy Class passengers are permitted one (1) piece of carry-on baggage, either a handbag or laptop bag, subject to the following size and weight limitations: Weight must not exceed 7kg (15lb).

The above is copied directly from the Emirates website, it clearly states & its seems quite clear to me that hand luggage can't exceed 7kg, no matter whether or not you think its unfair. You are flying with Emirates, therefore what other airlines may or may not do is completely irrelevant

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,093 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Emirates hand baggage.

Maybe you could store the gifts on the seat next to you and get that passenger to move?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Emirates hand baggage.

If you feel it is 'unfair', then fly with another airline - simple.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Emirates hand baggage.

Just flew with Emirates from CDG to Brisbane via Dubai. My hand luggage (small cabin bag) was weighed at CGD. It was close to 9 kg. The lady at check in asked me if I could take something out and put it into my checked bag. I did, it was still a little over 8kg because I had my SLR camera and extra lens etc and she said that was fine. I also had a ladies handbag which was not weighed and I carried it onto the flight along with my cabin bag.

Nottingham...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Emirates hand baggage.

Maybe I can carry laptop outside and put rest of the stuff in or something. Because I was goiung to carry three lenses which obviously going to be a problem if i am not lucky !

Edited: 11:42 am, May 30, 2014
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
44,861 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Emirates hand baggage.

Is there nothing in your hand luggage that is not valuable or necessary for the airport, transit or flight that cannot be put in your checked in luggage which, for Emirates Economy, is 30KG?

Nottingham...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Emirates hand baggage.

Well I am carrying laptop +tablet + camera with two lenses -- thats easily 5 kgs at least and the bag I will be carrying these in will be 1-3 kgs ...... so I cannot put anything in checked in luggage.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11,954 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Emirates hand baggage.

Sounds like you've got to decide what you're going to leave behind, or pack in your check-in luggage

Reply to: Emirates hand baggage.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted