We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London - Oslo - Copenhagen - Stockholm - Helsinki - London (

London, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
London - Oslo - Copenhagen - Stockholm - Helsinki - London (

Hi guys!

(Maybe the wrong forum, but I thought maybe too much to post in each individual country forum? Sorry will remove post if it's in the wrong forum!)

I have been reading through previous posts on here and other travel websites, about travel through Scandinavia, but still trying to get as much advice as possible. I am hoping to book this trip over Christmas/early January pending on a few questions that I could get answers for from experienced travellers.

So basically, what I've gathered from my research on the internet, and talking one friend who is from Finland, is the stereotype that this part of the globe is extremely expensive. I would go into this trip assuming this is the fact, but would a trip like this be possible to see these cities (plus maybe one of the Fjords in Norway?) without breaking the bank for a budget traveller like myself? This stereotype obviously differs extremely between each traveller. However myself, I am happy travelling by staying in hostels and eating meals from local corner stores/seven elevens for meals, if it helps and means I get to see these amazing cities!

So, I've found flights (I have not booked them yet), however it gives roughly 4 days in each city, over Christmas and New Years. But I have a few questions:

• I am looking to travel at as low cost as possible, looking for the hostels (maybe even attempt CouchSurfing (have done so before, but assuming people understandably may not have the time to host over the Christmas period!), eating cheaply and what not. Is it possible to budget as minimum as possible in these cities over 16 days eating at seven elevens (I literally don't think I will be able to afford restaurant meals unfortunately if I go, but am happy to eat from seven elevens as stated if necessary!) My friend from Finland made it out that even a sandwich at the local corner store will damage your finances! But if I found hostels with breakfast free, and ate maybe sandwiches for lunch and dinner with just a drink, is it possible to keep food per day under say the equivalent of 20 EURO per day?

• I am looking to spend maybe 5 days in Norway. This would be, ideally, 3 days in Oslo, and maybe 2 days/overnight at one of the Fjords. (I have noted Lysefjord or Hardangerfjord as probably the most feasible as they are "closest" to Oslo that I would look to go see, or head to Bergen via the "worlds best train ride" one of the days and look around there!) Just wondering, of those three Fjords, which is the easiest/cheapest to get to and back from Oslo? Costs of train rides return from Oslo, and how does accommodation work when you're there (costs etc. as well)? Obviously I would like to ask which one someone would recommend is the best to see, but all of them seem so amazing! Unfortunately I could only visit one (if any!) to visit in my short stay! Will have to come one time during mid-year o see Trolltunga, but I have read it's closed during the winter months?! Which leads me to my next question...

• Are these Fjords all accessible/worthy to go see in this winter period. For example, visibility, and climate. I am by no means an experienced hiker or anything, but just would love to see these places? In terms of climate, what will temperatures reach down to over this period of time? Is it possible to hike around, if I make it to one of the Fjords, for a day, or is it actually too cold? And is it easy enough just to walk through the city and take in the sights over this time/ride bikes during the day, or is it literally too freezing to do so?

• On the subject of natural phenomenas like the Fjords, is there a spot that is easily accessible from any of these cities over this time that could get a potential glimpse at the Northern Lights/Aurora Borealis? I have researched that it's most luck and timing if you get a glimpse. However I haven't been able to manage to pin point a particular spot near these cities that you can see them?

• Back to the cities; it will may be for my budget to travel to these Fjords if the train is really expensive, so if I minus out the Fjords, and just stick to the capital cities would this trip still be possible? Is it possible to live on the equivalent of 20-40 EURO a day? And is it possible to find hostels over this period for say 20 EURO a night.

• Public transport: what is the cost of hiring bikes per day for the cities. I am mainly just happy to explore on foot or just ride around on bikes all day, and take the bus if necessary. However would public transport incur huge fees as well?

I am probably being extremely optimistic here, and may cancel this trip before it starts! Again, I am happy to budget to the extreme, and not splurge on any of the days, but I am still very worried that if I book this trip, just from reading and talking to a friend, that I'll get stuck in a bad financial situation anyway halfway through the trip, but if I could get any help/advice on even just one of these questions, I would be so grateful! Many thanks, and I hope to hear from someone soon!

Cheers!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,946 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London - Oslo - Copenhagen - Stockholm - Helsinki - London (

'Is it possible to live on the equivalent of 20-40 EURO a day? And is it possible to find hostels over this period for say 20 EURO a night.' It wasn't really possible to visit the Scandinavian and Nordic countries on the equivalent of 20 - 40 euro (SEK, NOK, FIM etc) a day two decades ago, let alone today.

Prices in Helsinki make London look cheap. Prices in Oslo, Copenhagen and Stockholm will make you weep, but you won't be able to afford to buy a packet of paper tissues to wipe the tears away.

Rather than staying in hostels, consider www.omenahotels.com The rooms have small refrigerators and microwaves in each so you can do a bit of self catering and have a bit of privacy.

Transport in Helsinki isn't too bad, with one day travel passes for just 8€ for use in the city centre; in Stockholm the cost is 115 SEK for 24h use. Transport in Oslo will cost 80 NOK for 24h. I'm not sure if cycling would be advisable in winter in these cities, with the exception of Copenhagen.

You'll very likely get better answers to your questions by posting them on the forums for the specific cities and countries you would like to visit instead of here on the Air Travel forum

Having travelled on a shoestring and on a slightly larger budget, I must say that the latter is better for Scandi / Nordic countries. I can understand that you would like to visit them in winter and you have budget constraints, but the cost of living and travel may be so substantial that it the constant money considerations will detract from your holiday.

If you'd like to see the aurora and don't want to pay huge sums, have you considered Iceland? Prices aren't as high as the other countries you would like to visit and you may find it a more amenable start to your exploration of northern countries and cities.

Good luck. All the places you've mentioned are worth visiting, but if you have to wait for a while until you have more cash, it could be worth it.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London - Oslo - Copenhagen - Stockholm - Helsinki - London (

Do a cruise I hear they are fantastic in that area, full board, and can pick up a last minute ticket cheap sometimes

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,403 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London - Oslo - Copenhagen - Stockholm - Helsinki - London (

Christmas in Scandinavia isn't made for travelling. It's a family holiday so most people head home and stay there for the Christmas days.

In Norway society more or less closes up of Christmas eve afternoon (around 2-3pm) and stays closed until the 27th. Some restaurants and convenience store might stay open, but very little else. Sweden and Denmark are not as extreme, but along the same lines.

If you want to see the northern lights in Scandinavia/Finland you need to head north of the Arctic Circle, 1.5-2 flight north of Bergen/Oslo/Stockholm/Helsinki. It can sometimes be seen further south as well, but at such times it also can be seen in the north of Scotland.

Cycling during wintertime can be a risky adventure as snow/ice/slush might be present. Copenhagen is the best place for cycling and has loads of rental places. Norwegian towns have a very cheap "citybike"-system (very basic bikes), but this is only in summer.

Cheapest hostels in Oslo is Anker (http://www.ankerhostel.no/en/) and Haralsheimen (hihostels.no/en/…) with prices from 230-245 NOK (€28-€30).

Simplest fjords to do is the Aurlandfjord and Naeroyfjord (part of the much larger Sognefjord, with the Norway in a Nutshell tour (made by public transport - can be done as travel between Bergen and Oslo).

4. Re: London - Oslo - Copenhagen - Stockholm - Helsinki - London (

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 20, 2014