We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6'6" 210lbs flying intl. in coach, any hope?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
6'6" 210lbs flying intl. in coach, any hope?

I'm a big boy (not fat, just big boned) and hate flying for the most part, because it's uncomfortable and being big and crammed into a small seat only exacerbates the claustrophobia. I can't afford business class and no telling if I can get exit row, and I definitely don't travel enough to use miles for any upgrades. What are the hopes for me on a flight to HKG from SFO, patience-wise? To be honest after about 2 hours on any domestic flight my back and legs start hurting pretty seriously and I get a little anxious. Just not sure how I can pull off the international 12 hour flight, but I'm still in my 20s so I think it's now or never, as the older I get the less patience I'll have for these types of flights. I'd like to go to Asia for my honeymoon next spring and getting a little tense about it already. Thanks for any input or suggestions.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11,743 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6'6" 210lbs flying intl. in coach, any hope?

Some options I can think of:

- earn airline points for upgrades by using creditcards.

- fly an airline that lets you book exit row seats at the time of booking.

- fly in preimum economy - more expensive than economy but cheaper than business.

London, United...
Level Contributor
26,609 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6'6" 210lbs flying intl. in coach, any hope?

Nope, you're screwed, but it's only a few hours,,,:-))

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6'6" 210lbs flying intl. in coach, any hope?

On a quick check you're looking at roughly double the price to fly premium economy - I'd not hesitate!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
17,684 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6'6" 210lbs flying intl. in coach, any hope?

The bottom line is to either put up with it in coach, hope to get an exit row, pay more to fly in a different class or not fly at all.

At least on a long haul flight you should have plenty of opportunity to get out of your seat and walk around to ease the pain.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
7,746 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6'6" 210lbs flying intl. in coach, any hope?

Hi

I would go Premium Economy if I was in your position.

Jackie

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,589 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6'6" 210lbs flying intl. in coach, any hope?

i'd go to hawaii.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
53,074 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6'6" 210lbs flying intl. in coach, any hope?

Book with Cathay Pacific and fly in Premium Economy. Seat pitch is 38 inches, seat width is 19 inches. CX have 2-4-2 seating in their PE cabin as opposed to 3-4-3 in the standard Economy cabin.

UA have an Economy + product as well, but it offers just a bit more legroom in the regular Economy cabin; CX have a few more bells and whistles in PE (in terms of meals and amenity kit, I think), but keep in mind it is *not* a Business class light product, but a slightly enhanced Economy product.

There will always be the question 'is it worth it?' which has as many answers as travellers on this forum. I'd say it's worth every penny; others' views will vary.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6'6" 210lbs flying intl. in coach, any hope?

Go by slow boat to China ( territory ) instead?

Banbury
Level Contributor
521 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 6'6" 210lbs flying intl. in coach, any hope?

At the risk of seeming insensitive, it's not exactly going to be a great experience for the one gets to sit next to you.

London
Level Contributor
2,414 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6'6" 210lbs flying intl. in coach, any hope?

If he's on his honeymoon, one would assume that would be the wife