We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

renewing a passport

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
renewing a passport

Looking at booking another lanzarote holiday for next October, want to take my grandparents. My grandad's passport runs out in may but will qualify for a free one after his birthday on 4th October, as he turns 80, I believe.

our holiday dates are pretty fixed as im a teacher, booking during our fortnight's October break, which is generally a matter of days after 4th Oct. This year the holidays actually started 4th and we flew out on 10th.

My question is, can he apply for his free passport before his birthday? Applying for a new one after his birthday won't give us enough time! Any advice gratefully recieved :-)

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
8,073 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: renewing a passport

I think you might find this perk may have disappeared along with so many other benefits for the elderly. Do a dummy renewal and see what year you have to be born before, I have a feeling it's 1926

Jackie

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: renewing a passport

Really, Jackie? I looked into this just recently for him! :-(

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,842 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: renewing a passport

As far as I'm aware he can get a free passport only if he was born before 2 September 1929 - the scheme does not give a free passport on reaching 80 years of age.

https://www.gov.uk/free-passport

…answers.com/Q/Does_the_British_Passport_ren…

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,188 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: renewing a passport

If you were born on or before 2nd September 1929 you can get a British passport for free. but nothing to do with reaching 80. Born after that date you have to pay.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: renewing a passport

thank you, my grandad isn't eligible then, but my gran is,she was born 1928 and her passport expires in may. Thats plenty of time, thank you both x

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: renewing a passport

Happy to pay, just checking logistics. Thanks

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: renewing a passport

The UK Gov has done this with several "benefits" for older people - like the tax allowance - so those who had it, keep it, but no-one new qualifies.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
8,073 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: renewing a passport

Hi

I knew it was before 1930 because that's when my mam was born and she had to pay, but my mother in law who was born in 1924 got hers free as soon as she was 80.

I was looking forward to my bus pass at 60 but that's now 63, heating allowance at 60 but I'll be 62 before I get that. Getting old isn't what it used to be.

Jackie

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,188 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: renewing a passport

Bus pass and winter fuel allowance are linked to the state pension age now :( Still, at least we get free prescriptions lol.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
8,073 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: renewing a passport

I was already getting free prescriptions because I'm lucky I've got cancer. There's an upside to everything if you look hard enough.

Jackie