We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does United have baggage agreement with Bangkokair,Laoairlin

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
341 reviews
Save Topic
Does United have baggage agreement with Bangkokair,Laoairlin

We will be flying with United Airlines from DEN to BKK, the flight lands at midnight, then we will stay at the airport for few hours and in the morning continue to Luang Prabang with either Lao Airlines or Bangkok air.

Can we check our luggage in Denver all the way to Luang Prabang? Does United have any agreement with either of those airlines regarding the baggage?

Thank you for any help

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,663 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does United have baggage agreement with Bangkokair,Laoairlin

Hi,

United does not have an interline agreement with Lao Airlines (QV) nor does UA have an agreement with Bangkok Airways (UA). Therefore you can't book a UA-issued ticket with flights operated by either PG or QV on the same ticket - therefore any "connection" you may have is not protected by either carrier and is at your own risk.

Delta (DL) however does have an interline with QV.

Travel Safe,

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does United have baggage agreement with Bangkokair,Laoairlin

thank you for such quick reply.

To be honest I am a bit at loss as I thought that United does not have the agreement with Lao, which you and UA rep confirmed.

however I thought that they do have the agreement with Bangkok air, which you and UA rep said they do not.

In the past we flew from DEN-BKK spent few hours at the airport transit and continues in the morning on Thai air, which was purchased as a separate ticket. Our luggage was always checked all the way to Thai destination. So this is what I am hoping to achieve with Bangkok air. ( and I may not be successful according to your reply?

Edited: 11:39 pm, October 12, 2013
Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,663 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does United have baggage agreement with Bangkokair,Laoairlin

Hi,

Different situation..

United does have a full interline with Thai (TG) therefore you can book and tag bags for a TG operate flight.

Because this ability exists, UA can - at their sole discretion - do so even if on seleqrte tickets .. However because it is (or would be separate tickets) you still bear all risks for doing so.. In that cases UA is doing so as a discretionary and incurs not liability for doing so.

In this case between UA and PG or QV - that ability simply does not exist therefore any further conversation about discretionary or not, is mute because the ability to do so simply isn't there.

If you want thru check and connection protection to LPQ then that means you need to go with DL who does have this agreement with QV.

Travel Safe,

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does United have baggage agreement with Bangkokair,Laoairlin

thanks again for your time and replies

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does United have baggage agreement with Bangkokair,Laoairlin

GOPBI- I have another question actually.

What if we take the risk, and book the flight on Lao airlines which does not have any interline agreement.

We arrive to Bangkok and find out that the baggage did not make it for whatever reasons. our next flight on Lao will still be in few hours, what happens with the baggage?

We will be passing again through Bangkok 17 days later, can we hope the baggage is somewhere to be picked up?

thank you

Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,663 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does United have baggage agreement with Bangkokair,Laoairlin

Hi,

In that case UA will hold the bags in BKK until they are claimed by you and cleared thru Thai customs..

However, do know that Thai customs does have rules about how long a bag may remain with a carrier in an "in-bond" status (which means it has arrived but has not been formally cleared with Customs) before either fines/fees are levied *or* customs will require that the carrier either:

A) Clear the bag with customs (which requires the passenger to be present) for delivery. Note that since you won't (and can't) file a delayed bag report or PIR, with United, United can't and won't clear your bags for you on your behalf with Thai customs while you are in Lao.

B) Re-export / return the bag to its last place of departure (for you that would be either NRT or DEN)

C) Declare the bag "abandoned" and surrender it to Thai Customs for their disposal.

In your case since your ticket will only show BKK as your final destination *and* records will also show you also flew with your bag (same flight) to Bangkok, UA will most likely deem that you have simply elected to abandon your bag for whatever reason.

Before you try to do this I would be *sure* to contact UAs local ground staff inside the baggae hall for better guidance...

Remember since you're talking about international, there are also customs rules that are in play and largely intentionally leaving your baggage inside the customs hall (before passing customs inspections) as a means of voluntary temporary storage isn't permitted.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 9:09 pm, October 13, 2013
Colorado
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does United have baggage agreement with Bangkokair,Laoairlin

thank you again for great advice.

I hope the bag will make it, so that we do not have to go to these extremities.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does United have baggage agreement with Bangkokair,Laoairlin

ps, can I ask you for your opinion on this issue : tripadvisor.com.my/ShowTopic-g293916-i3687-k…

thank you

Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,663 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does United have baggage agreement with Bangkokair,Laoairlin

Hi,

Re: 8

I agree with the first reply from Bill2P (whom I know and find his counsel to be very accurate) that you *should be* ok...

Morning flights tend to be more on-time than the later flights as it would be uncommon (not IMpossible but uncommon) for delays to start with the first or second flights of the day for that specific aircraft..

So... I think you'll be ok...

But as fair warning - and as you probably already know - if for *any* reason; even if that's due wholly to Nok's issues- you arrive late into DMK and as a result you miss your next flight to Trang, you're totally on your own. Nok has zero liability to do anything for you unless your DMK-TST ticket has rules that permits rebooking etc..

Would I do this? I probably would- but if it were me, I would try like heck to do it without bags -- to cut down on the ground time I needed in DMK - but it suspect this isn't an option for you, so you've to work with your reality...

If upon arrival you hustle getting off the plane and get things done expeditiously (that means no stopping for Starbucks) you'll probably be ok...

Best of luck.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 4:58 am, October 14, 2013
Colorado
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does United have baggage agreement with Bangkokair,Laoairlin

Thank you again for your opinion. really appreciate your time for anwering.