We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Star Alliance RTW - caution

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Topic
Star Alliance RTW - caution

I am flying RTW with Star Alliance. ticket booked on Staralliance.com. Turns out that there are some hidden "gotchas" with doing this. Although the ticket is flexible, ie I can change a segment, I am being told that there is "no availability" on the requested flight. Checking online shows that there is actually availability with the airline (in this case SQ) but on being pressed StarAlliance say that there is no availability "with this ticket" or "with this allocation".

You might imagine I could switch to another SA member to make the change, but not possible.

Two legs of trip ticket issued by Lufthansa but flown by SQ. Can't select seat etc on SQ's website as not booked through them. Lufthansa cant help. Annoying.

In dealing with Star Alliance they act as if they are just a reseller of member airlines' seats, but with no ability to intereact with member airlines.

So - beware of booking RTW on Staralliance.com, I have found it a significant problem dealing with them, lots of calls, not helpful, say there is available, then say no there isn't, then "system down", call us back. Not interested in solving the customer issue, attitude is - we sold you the ticket, now go away. Airlines attitude is - you didn't buy from us, so go away.

Never again.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,167 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Star Alliance RTW - caution

If it's anything like RTWs I've used there needs to be availability in the fare bucket in which the ticket is purchased, I know for business class that is C and F for first class. Not sure about economy.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,281 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Star Alliance RTW - caution

For this type of complex product, it's best to use an agent instead of booking directly with the airline. This has been my experience.

As OP2002 pointed out, for RTW fares, fare buckets available are restricted usually to certain heavily discounted ones. That means you can't expect to always change to your desired flight on the particular date. It's no different than buying any other plane ticket. If you want the cheaper fare, it has to be available for purchase. Whether you buy the RTW from *A.com, the airline, or a travel agent doesn't change this fare bucket availability requirement.

You should be able to obtain your SQ record locator from your ticket issuer (*A or LH). Armed with the record locator, you can then go to SQ's website and manage your booking.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,158 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Star Alliance RTW - caution

If memory serves all RTWs purchased through the Star Alliance website are actually issued by Lufthansa, and I believe economy sectors book into "M" on most participant carriers. In most cases "M" is neither the highest nor the lowest fare bucket.

That said, the fare rules say it's at the airline's discretion as to how many seats to allocate to the product on any given flight, so there's probably some restriction within the "M" bucket that would allow them to limit space even if generic "M" space was open.

As others state, there has to be space in your eligible fare category for them to give you a seat. That's true whether you're in el cheapo economy or riding in first class.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Star Alliance RTW - caution

Do you feel that the same provisions don't apply with RTW tickets through other alliances? How do you know there's availability? As noted, just seeing that tickets for a segment are available for sale doesn't necessarily mean it's available for your particular itinerary/ticket. I've looked into RTW tickets. Lots of catches (or regs), including what direction you can go at each point. Caveat emptor.

5. Re: Star Alliance RTW - caution

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, October 12, 2014