We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

upgrading at airport (virgin)

uk
Level Contributor
101 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
upgrading at airport (virgin)

Im due to fly out of gatwick to las vegas in just over three weeks, i have got enough airmiles to upgrade to premium economy however when i called to do so they said i couldn't because i had got the wrong fair class/type (n apparently).

My question is do you think they would potentially let me do it at check in, ie if they have premium economy seats left, they might aswell "use up" my points and let me upgrade,

any help or experience of similar scenarios would be appreciated cheers!

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
14,198 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: upgrading at airport (virgin)

I don't think you can use your Air Miles at the airport but you can pay for an upgrade if there are seats available.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,547 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: upgrading at airport (virgin)

Upgrades are based on fare class. If you booked the cheapest/lowest class you will not be allowed to upgrade even if there are seats. It is the rules and they don't bend them as far as I know.

uk
Level Contributor
101 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: upgrading at airport (virgin)

Thanks for the info guys, i guess I'll just ask the question on the day , worst they can say is no..

I've paid for the extra legroom which will give me the couple of extra inches anyway..

Guess I'll have to doubl check what the type of ticket is next year..

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
689 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: upgrading at airport (virgin)

When I've done this I've paid the difference between the two fares and then used my air miles to upgrade, no problem doing this on Virgin in the past

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,321 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: upgrading at airport (virgin)

Here are the fare buckets that VS Flying Club members may refer to for upgrades with Miles: virgin-atlantic.com/en/…upgrade_table.jsp Here's an explanation of the VS fare buckets, including eligibliity for upgrades: v-flyer.com/the-toolbox/fare-codes?code=P

North east england
Level Contributor
675 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: upgrading at airport (virgin)

I recently came across this also, I actually didn't know about the different classes etc in each cabin, I thought all economy seats were the same.

I'm a member of the Virgin flying club and I was going to use some of my Tesco Clucard vouchers to purchase extra flying club miles so that we could upgrade our Florida flights next May, unfortunately we are not allowed to do this as our seats are in "O" class? and you can't use miles to upgrade.

I was a bit dismayed as this was never mentioned when we booked the holiday with Virgin Holidays, I think if it had been explained I would have paid the extra to have a different class so that I could use my miles, you live and learn and next time I will ask which class of seat I am getting.

I'm not sure if I will be allowed to pay the difference now to change classes, so that I can upgrade in May using my miles, I'm going to give Virgin a ring - its worth an ask?

uk
Level Contributor
101 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: upgrading at airport (virgin)

I guess it's worth the ask.. I understand them not wanting to give people upgrades for nothing, and the stories of that happening I think are long gone, but can't understand why they wouldn't want you to use your air miles up if they have empty premium economy seats.

I understand the fair classes however I agree it's not made clear when booking I have been looking at some flights for next year and it seems you have to actively look for more expensive seats then go through to next section on website to find class it's not indicated on the price grid that virgin use.

North east england
Level Contributor
675 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: upgrading at airport (virgin)

I asked the Question......To upgrade from class "O" to class "M" in economy, it would cost £348.00 each + my airmiles + £100 tax each...... Or £769.00 total to upgrade to PE for flights to Orlando and back for the 2 of us....

It was a no-brainer..... I have just upgraded us - I now know that we will probably not fly economy again!!! haha we will get used to premium economy.!!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,547 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: upgrading at airport (virgin)

"but can't understand why they wouldn't want you to use your air miles up if they have empty premium economy seats."

Because it is not fair to the other people who did pay more to sit there. If they did not have the policy then everyone would try for a "cheap" upgrade.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,062 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: upgrading at airport (virgin)

I haven't flow Virgin for 9 months now, but have found in the past that as long as they have seats to sell at check in time, they do offer them for money, I don't know whether the paid upgrade price varies, depending on what fare class you booked into in the first place, or if they don't make the offer if your fare class is too low.

However, what you do need to bear in mind is that the PE cabin is quite small, so it is less likely to have empty seats for sale at check in time. The best chance of paid upgrades is if you're already in PE and wish to upgrade to Upper Class - or at least that's what I've found.

SWT

Edited: 7:46 am, October 14, 2013