We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't use OneTravel or it's sister site, Cheapoair

California
Level Contributor
178 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Don't use OneTravel or it's sister site, Cheapoair

I booked a ticket through OneTravel and had a problem with the booking. The details aren't important. What's important is that I spent hours and hours on the phone with customer service. I talked to several supervisors: all in all, I was given a big run around and a lot of utterly wrong information. They are not a reputable company and if you have a problem you will not be able to resolve it. I am not quite sure if I'd call them a scam but from my problem it's getting pretty much to that line.

Yes, I did have tickets that I could verify with the airlines but OneTravel tacked on a BIG premium over costs of the underlying flights. I had a direct charge to my credit card from each airline on my itinerary and then a large charge directly to OneTravel. That's the scam part. So I think you have to be wary about their claim that they are a great source of discounts, you may find you paid more than you should have, or any small discount will be immaterial the first time you have to call support.

Another problem occurred at flight time. One of the airlines on my itinerary - I had no way of knowing this because OneTravel didn't tell me - had a fee for airport check-in. But due to the way OneTravel booked the ticket I could not check-in with the airline on-line. Ditto for bag charges, I couldn't pay on-line for the same reason and had to pay double at the airport.. However, this was not the reason for my initial problem with OneTravel. This is just another and later problem. The airline in question told me these things were the responsibility of the booking agent and that I should go back to them. I already know the hassle that that will be and I won't even bother to call them. I think that it's part of OneTravel's business policy to stone-wall everything and people just give up.

Stick to the reputable sites.

24 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
23,125 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't use OneTravel or it's sister site, Cheapoair

>>>The details aren't important<<<

Isn't that how you got into this mess with OneTravel?

Edited: 7:10 pm, October 05, 2013
Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't use OneTravel or it's sister site, Cheapoair

Well that's a startling revelation you would've thought by now that someone on this site would've mentioned that these companies might be somewhat iffy???

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,299 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't use OneTravel or it's sister site, Cheapoair

Why oh who do SO many people not book tickets with the airline that will fly them?

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
4,932 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't use OneTravel or it's sister site, Cheapoair

Another post that leaves me shaking my head in disbelief. Blueskies, you joined TA in 2009, have a number of posts and reviews to your credit so obviously visit the site quite often. So why oh why did you not pay one more visit to TA and type Cheapoair or One Travel into the search box BEFORE you went ahead and used them.

The outcome would surely have turned out very differently, or if you were still dumb enough to use them despite the 100's of damning reports, none of what happened to you would have come as a suprise ?

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't use OneTravel or it's sister site, Cheapoair

I have a feeling KVE hit the nail on the head...the devil is usually in the details.

California
Level Contributor
178 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't use OneTravel or it's sister site, Cheapoair

Thank you all for joining in. My reason for posting is to add to the existing warnings and try to help other TA users to avoid a potential problem.

Just to let all you know, I have never booked on a secondary site before. I had a very difficult itinerary and used Momondo which I quite liked actually and it found a solution. The downside was OneTravel and Cheapoair were the only sellers. Yes, I did see some negative comments but because of my itinerary I did it anyway. I was not using their sites directly. Anyway, this all sounds like explaining why I did it.

Yes, as I said I knew better. And again, my reason for posting was to help others.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
26,449 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Don't use OneTravel or it's sister site, Cheapoair

BlueskiesCA,

You mentioned this was a complex itinerary, but you don't mention what it was.

There are some cases where booking directly with the airline(s), at least from their websites, may not give good itineraries and fares. That's when a **full service** travel agent can be useful. A full service agent could find the flights you got from One Travel/Cheapo, and they'd be able to check live fares and hold them for a day or two, plus you'd have the added bonus of talking with a live person and discussing options, and with a good agent, that person would be your middleman if any issues arose.

You'd still need to be careful on choosing a full service agent, as there aren't that many around these days (the online bookers have taken a lot of that market) and you'd need good service as you'd still have a middleman. But from time to time they're worth looking into.

Airline first, full service travel agent next, and avoid online bookers.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Don't use OneTravel or it's sister site, Cheapoair

What was the initial problem please?

As much as I agree it's daft to use these sites, I am struggling to see your complaint,,,you say you paid too much and were unaware of the baggage and check in requirements of one of the airlines? I'm sorry, but I see both as your responsibility to understand in advance prior to making the purchasing decision. You were also fully aware of their reputation when you chose to use them, so no excuse for not looking at airline policies or ticket prices direct in advance.

Unless you articulate the initial problem, then the complaint re customer service is invalid,,,,for all we know you could have been hassling them for something you were not due ie a change to a flight on a non changeable ticket or something similar.

UK
Level Contributor
49,562 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Don't use OneTravel or it's sister site, Cheapoair

Another problem occurred at flight time. One of the airlines on my itinerary - I had no way of knowing this because OneTravel didn't tell me - had a fee for airport check-in. But due to the way OneTravel booked the ticket I could not check-in with the airline on-line. Ditto for bag charges, I couldn't pay on-line for the same reason and had to pay double at the airport

--------

I simply do not believe that you:

1.Could not find out that the airline had a fee for airport checkin. It will be on their website.

2. Could not checkin online because of some special way they booked you Worst case you could have called them to get a reference to use to checkin but probably you could have used your credit card info and surname to checkin.

3. Needed to use any agency to book with what is self evidently either Ryanair or one other airline whose name I forget, you could have booked these yourself.

4. Could not add bags to your booking online. See 2. And also 3, eg you didn't even need to use them.

L

California
Level Contributor
178 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Don't use OneTravel or it's sister site, Cheapoair

OK. Some of you are incredulous that I could have made such a dumb mistake.

Again, that's exactly the point, I was lulled into it - despite fact that I did know better.

Hence again that's why I posted as an warning to those who might be tempted to do exactly as I did.

For all those doubters about my story. No, I did not see on the Air Baltic site that such fees would be charged. Air Baltic told us that we would have needed to pay the luggage fees at the time of making the booking. I would have called if I knew that was going to be the case but I didn't call proactively as T-Mobile does not roam in Lithuania or Latvia and I was staying in an apartment without phone service.

For all the rest of the doubters I needed to fly from Vilnius, Lithuania to Iraklion, Crete on Saturday 17 August. You might try the search on your favorite site and see why it's a problem. I don't want to quibble about that flight I should have taken: all but two options involved 3 flights. Many options evolved into 25 hours of travel time. I spent lots and lots of time looking at all the new European discount and full fare airlines and couldn't get anywhere from Vilnius early enough to make decent connections. And I couldn't get anywhere by train early enough either. I looked at + and - one day, the 16th and 18th. I put a lot of effort into this search.

Oh, I could have gone on Aeroflot via the Ukraine but that option had it's own set of drawbacks. There was a combination of Austrian Airlines and Air Berlin but the first leg would have needed to be in business class (and a one-way ticket on Austrian also was expensive) which made it very very expensive. Also, it was not possible to purchase this itinerary from Austrian; I called them. I would have needed both flights on the same ticket to have my bag interlined per email from Air Berlin. So if this option was available in coach, I still would have need to purchase the tickets on a non-airline site.

There was a 3 flight option that left at 6 am via Copenhagen on SAS and Aegean but it had (like many others) a very short transit time in Athens. This option had 35 minutes in Athens. Given the structure of that airport, legal connection or not, I thought it was a high probability to miss the connection and be forced to overnight in Athens. If by some chance I made the flight, I highly doubt my luggage would have.

OK there you have it. Maybe now this doesn't sound quite as utterly stupid as some of you thought.

I do value the experience of travel agents but given that the itinerary was likely to involve budget airlines I am not sure that would have been possible in this case.

What would I do now? I would have gone on a real airline and bit the bullet and spent a night in an airport hotel, though that would have meant losing a day of my holiday. I might go on WizzAir to Barcelona and then on Veuling to Chania and drive from there. But I would not use OneTravel :--))

Edited: 4:01 pm, October 06, 2013
Reply to: Don't use OneTravel or it's sister site, Cheapoair
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted