We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Berlin Business - ORD to TXL - Lounge at TXL?

San Diego
Level Contributor
92 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Air Berlin Business - ORD to TXL - Lounge at TXL?

The only American Frequent Flyer tickets in Business so far for next summer (2014) include Chicago to Berlin to Paris on Air Berlin. I have two tickets on hold for 5 days. Other threads on the Air Travel Forum paint a dismal picture of Air Berlin. I'm having second thoughts.

Comments on the seats are negative - but the Air Berlin website seems to show seats that recline to the flat position and look rather new. Anyone with recent experience on this flight in business?

The other negative is all of the stories about lost luggage - but lost luggage happens with many airlines. Our worst experiences have been with American and BA actually. Recent experiences on Air Berlin?

We have a long layover in Berlin - any experience with the Air Berlin Lounge? Are there luggage lockers for our carry-ons in case we decide to go into Berlin for a few hours. Thanks.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Berlin Business - ORD to TXL - Lounge at TXL?

I cannot comment on the lounge question. Lost luggage - there was an article in one of the big German dailies about. The problem appears to be the system at TXL, it cant cope and the set up is poorly organised . The article actually gave a contact address if your bags get "lost". This tells me that there is still a luggage issue.

lie flat seats - it is possible that the flights are actually done with Etihad aircraft and not AB hardware. On the long haul route I fly AB is crummy. Perhaps you will get more recent info from another poster.

San Diego
Level Contributor
92 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Berlin Business - ORD to TXL - Lounge at TXL?

Thanks. I have also heard that TXL is old and does not have many amenities? About how far is the airport from the City?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,487 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Berlin Business - ORD to TXL - Lounge at TXL?

TXL is an old design. I've only ever used BA from there but the lounges are all landside and each flight's check-in area has security behind it. Once in the secure area it's pretty much a pen used for boarding, there's no real airside area to speak of.

As Air Berlin and BA are in oneworld you can probably use the BA Terraces lounge if you're flying business class or are oneworld Sapphire/Emerald status. It's rather reasonable and has views back towards the city. It's upstairs in the "gallery" portion and is easy enough to find. TXL is about 15mins from the city centre by bus depending upon how you define city centre (Brandenburg Gate/Reichstag in my case)

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,125 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Berlin Business - ORD to TXL - Lounge at TXL?

Tegel is a 15-20 mins taxi ride into town cost is about €20,there are also buses every few mins ,I think they are €3 each way. They might of course get the new airport open by then,though I would not count on it !

A relative flew them recently with a connection in TXL and the luggage for the group made it both ways so maybe things are improving in that direction.

A friend has now moved to Berlin as flies them a lot to the Middle East in biz. he is not that keen on them but it is not too bad,just not BA level.

5. Re: Air Berlin Business - ORD to TXL - Lounge at TXL?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 05, 2014