We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do if your flight is cancelled?

Batley, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
what to do if your flight is cancelled?

hi

I'm travelling to Tunisia in 3 weeks and my flight back to the uk is with tunisair. I just wanted to know what would happen if there was a strike on that day or tunisair cancelled the flight? how would I get back home? would the airline try and get us on another flight with a different airline or would we be stranded?!!!

please help!

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,970 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do if your flight is cancelled?

If anything like that did happen it would be up to Tunisair if they did anything other than refund you. Have you asked them what their policy is?

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do if your flight is cancelled?

They usually put you on another flight or they will pay and provide accommodation for the night until things settle and then you'll be on your way home. Anyway, usually the airline is responsible and will provide for you.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,766 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do if your flight is cancelled?

If you were flying with an EU-based airline the duty of care provisions of EC261/2004 would cover you, at least in theory. Tunisair aren't an EU-based airline, of course, so what they do for you on a flight originating in Tunisia depends entirely on their own policies. They do have agreements with other airlines so could reroute you on another airline if they wished, not all airlines have these interline agreements so you have a plus there.

Check your travel insurance to see if these situations are covered. If not, worth getting an insurance policy that does cover you.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,970 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to do if your flight is cancelled?

Feary

Have you been looked after and accommodated overnight by Tunisair, or is that your experience with another airline?

Batley, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to do if your flight is cancelled?

thanks for that, hopefully nothing will happen but as usual I am worrying about worse case scenarios!

if anyone has been in a similar situation then there experiences would be most helpful!

thanks again

London
Level Contributor
8,275 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to do if your flight is cancelled?

There was a strike last year when I was departing from Heathrow with Tunisair. They offered refund of air ticket if anyone requested it, or overnight in Heathrow hotel and was put on next days flight.

Obviously from Heathrow they only had one flight to deal with. Travelling from Tunis no doubt would be far more chaotic. If a general strike obviously they couldnt reroute you with another airline. Also Tunisair is the only scheduled airline to fly from Tunis to U.K. direct - so any re routing would involve journey via Paris for example.

Batley, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what to do if your flight is cancelled?

I wouldn't mind a short Stopover but my main concern would be to get home either that day or the next at the very latest! tunisair only fly once a week into Manchester so wouldn't want to wait a week to be put on next flight back!

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,970 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what to do if your flight is cancelled?

On flights departing the UK they have to comply with EU261 so they have to provide accommodation where appropriate, and offer re-routing or another flight. Departing Tunisia they don't, that's not to say they wouldn't, but I would still check with the airline.

London
Level Contributor
8,275 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what to do if your flight is cancelled?

I think the poster is only travelling back with Tunisair, Leyland, according to posts on Tunisia forum. As stated I was looked after last year travelling from Heathrow.

My experiences with Tunisair wouldnt like to rely on same procedures travelling back from Tunis, where I imagine would be chaotic to say the least.

Edited: 9:39 am, October 01, 2013
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,970 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what to do if your flight is cancelled?

The point I was trying to make (perhaps badly) is that when you departed Heathrow they had to do what they did. For the OP departing Tunis they don't.