We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qantas and electronic devises

3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Qantas and electronic devises

I've recently come back from Singapore to perth on a qantas flight and was amazed at the amount of people using electronic devises on landing. I thought after the announcement to turn off electronic devises majority of people do so...I am so wrong. There were a number of passengers I noticed ignored the announcement and continued doing whatever it was on them. Even the FA didn't tell them to turn them off on their final checks before they sat down. Being a bit of a nervous flyer my husband did ask it this made me concerned and I said no cause if the FA aren't making them turn them off in full view of using them obviously it's not that big a deal. But doing research on here I noticed that they still shouldn't be used on landing/takeoff.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
78,157 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Qantas and electronic devises

There was an article in one of the weekend papers pointing out that pilots use their iPads throughout the flight, including during takeoff and landing. It seems that there is really no reason for the ban on electronic devices.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
16,502 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Qantas and electronic devises

I'm surprised that the FAs didn't ask passengers to turn them off - it's usually the last thing they do before they sit down. However, if someone just closes the cover of their iPad or Kindle just as the FA walks past then they would be none the wiser as to whether it was on or off.

And your husband shouldn't worry - sydneynick is quite correct - my pilot friends have told me on many occasions that they never turn off their own mobile phones or electronic devices. One told me that his company (which shall remain nameless to protect the innocent) enforced the rule in a vain attempt to get passengers to listen to the pre takeoff and pre landing announcements.

Level Contributor
61 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Qantas and electronic devises

I am led to believe that Emirates no longer enforce this

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,274 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Qantas and electronic devises

2015 episode of 'Air Crash Investigations'. Investigators conclude 'too many ipads'.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
78,157 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Qantas and electronic devises

>>2015 episode of 'Air Crash Investigations'. Investigators conclude 'too many ipads'.<<

Ah, the definitative answer. A television program.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
958 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Qantas and electronic devises

On a recent flight with Etihad, a passenger seated near me spent the entire descent talking on his mobile phone, the FAs didn't do a thing.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,688 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Qantas and electronic devises

So there is still hope that if cell phones cannot blow up airplanes neither a small 500ml mineral water can do it.

Wales
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Qantas and electronic devises

I may be wrong, but I thought that one of the reasons for asking pax to turn off electronic devices for take off and landing was to ensure full attention in an emergency.

I guess this was more relevant in the days when devices were limited to things like Walkmans (!), MP3 players etc with headphones, rather thank e-books which aren't really so different from books and magazines.

Whatever the reason, if you're instructed/asked by the crew to turn electronic devices off, my view is that you should so so and not put the crew in a position of having to ask/instruct you to do so.

Edited: 1:13 pm, October 01, 2013
UK
Level Contributor
49,562 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Qantas and electronic devises

Agreed, but its looks like the FAA are just about to derestrict them anyway.

Wales
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Qantas and electronic devises

Goodness, I should have read my post more carefully before posting! I should have written "than" e-books, of course, and "do so" . But I hope you get the gist ...