We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay away from LOT Polish Airlines - unsanitary plane

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Stay away from LOT Polish Airlines - unsanitary plane

Recently I took flight on LOT Polish Airlines 787. When I sat down in my seat, it turns out it was wet with URINE. I ended in wet pants for next 9 hours. The response from LOT - we can pay for your pants cleaning, and give you 3,000 frequent flier miles. I did not know whether I should laugh or cry at this ridiculous offer. Advice - stay away from LOT - obviously they are not about customer service.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,143 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay away from LOT Polish Airlines - unsanitary plane

Hi

Was there any reason why they didn't seat you somewhere else? Nine hours soaked in urine would cause more than wet trousers, you would be sore as well.

A photo of a pink bum along with a letter requesting compo, giving all the flight details along with the crew member's name (if you got it) would be winging it's way to their head office if it was me.

Sudocrem is good for wee wee rash.

Jackie

Edited: 6:16 pm, September 25, 2013
Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay away from LOT Polish Airlines - unsanitary plane

I'm with Jackie on this one, were there no other seats into which they could move you? I'm not sure I would have been prepared to sit there even if they had offered a plastic sheet and blanket to cover the seat cushions. I used to work in aged care and the aroma of urine does not improve with keeping. Normally I don't make a fuss about anything, but 9 hours sitting in a puddle of SOMEONE ELSE'S urine?? Cack!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay away from LOT Polish Airlines - unsanitary plane

They changed the seat and seat belts after plane completed the climb out of Warsaw, however the damage was already done. I did not have second pair of pants. It was quite an embarrassing and unnerving experience. I did complain - LOT offered 3,000 FF miles. Should I laugh or cry at this pathetic offer?

4. Re: Stay away from LOT Polish Airlines - unsanitary plane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 am, September 26, 2013
Edited: 3:35 am, September 26, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay away from LOT Polish Airlines - unsanitary plane

Frustrating experience for you Peter - definitely an unusual situation there.

I guess the question is what do you think is fair and reasonable in terms of compensation?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,709 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay away from LOT Polish Airlines - unsanitary plane

Naughty Ronaldo :-)

Peter,

An unfortunate incident indeed. But, in fairness to LOT, nobody at the airline was responsible for the mess, almost certainly the dirty so and so from the previous flight. And I doubt whether it's SOP to check every seat for wetness before boarding. Maybe it should be, but then that would apply to all airlines, and this incident could easily have happened on another airline.

If they come good on paying for the cleaning of your pants, and don't skimp on the cost, get them done on the fastest turnaround at your hotel, then frankly I'm not seeing what more they can provide. A couple thousand more FF miles maybe. What do you think they should provide you?

Canada
Level Contributor
4,971 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay away from LOT Polish Airlines - unsanitary plane

Meeeeeellions of dollars, perhaps?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,143 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay away from LOT Polish Airlines - unsanitary plane

But what about his sore bottom? Surely that's worth a few Zlotys.

This is another reason for always carrying a spare set of clothes in hand baggage. I had a nosebleed on a plane once and luckily I was able to get changed, otherwise it looked like I had eaten a pot of jam on a roller coaster.

Jackie

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay away from LOT Polish Airlines - unsanitary plane

That reminds me - a couple of years ago I sat into a soaked seat on a bus in London. I don't think it was urine though, a spilled juice or something, but my trousers were soaked through all the same. The driver just shrugged his shoulders indicating it wasn't his problem and I didn't know what TripAdvisor was and couldn't warn others to stay away from London buses...

The whole incident was so embarrassing that from then on I suspiciously inspect every seat before sitting down, much to the amusement of others, but I highly recommend the approach in the future. It saved me another embarassment quite recently when I came across a wet seat in a cinema.

These things happen, get over it. Take whatever LOT offers you, or demand more if you're not happy. Never had an incident with them myself apart from a few cancelled flights but from I hear the good thing about LOT is that they are quite flexible in unusual situations like this one so it is possible to reach a mutually satisfactory agreement.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stay away from LOT Polish Airlines - unsanitary plane

Could have happened on any airline.