We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Denver to Kolkata (India) in Economy

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Travel from Denver to Kolkata (India) in Economy

Am planning to travel with wife and 1 yr old this Christmas -- ticket prices are skyrocket (approx $2500 per person roundtrip).

Should I go with Emirates Economy or Lufthansa economy? Emirates is via Dallas and Dubai (approx 2 hr layover for each) and Lufthansa is via Frankfurt and Bangalore.

Both of the above are 2 stops -- wanted to avoid more stops or duration as travelling with baby.

Cathay pacific via west coast is coming higher as they charge 25% for babies.

How is Qatar airways (via Washington DC) compared to Emirates and Lufthansa? How is Air India from JFK via DEL -- I would have to arrange Denver to JFK separately.

Air fares are pretty strange -- for example -- Qatar airways is giving very good rate for one-way from India to IAD but when I choose roundtrip the return fare is also substantially higher !!!

Any other flights to consider? Am ready to consider more stops if its for the better.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Denver to Kolkata (India) in Economy

please help

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,326 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Denver to Kolkata (India) in Economy

I prefer Asiana via Seattle and Seoul, but they go into Delhi, I believe (you can't get a more comfortable economy class)

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Denver to Kolkata (India) in Economy

I have flown Cathay pacific, Emirates, LH, they are all good choices. I would stay away from separate tickets, if there is any delays, cancelations, you would be in trouble. For LH you should transit through DEL or BOM.

UA also flies EWR-DEL or BOM, then Jet to CCU.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Denver to Kolkata (India) in Economy

Take a look at http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,818 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Denver to Kolkata (India) in Economy

Doubt you can do it in one stop. Flew UA from Newark to Delhi and Bomvay a couple times and would not have a problem doing it again. However if you can it without a transfer in India, that's probably best. If you transfer in India, you'll have to collect bags, immigration, etc., while rushing to catch a plane. I know Delhi and Bombay both use separate terminals for many domestic flights which possibly will make for a more difficult transfer.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Denver to Kolkata (India) in Economy

thanks guys...all great inputs....

after doing some further research here what I am getting inclined to...

Coming back from CCU to DENVER -- Singapore Airlines ( CCU to SIN, then SIN to SFO via SEOUL) and then from SFO to DEN...all in 1 ticket....but i understand I have to take baggages for customs in SFO

Also,from SIN , I am getting too options with almost the same price and timings/duration--via LAX and via SFO. the LAX option has A380 but I was reading posts where people said SFO transfer(with immigration and customs) is much better than LAX transfer -- so probably inclining towards the SFO route ...I have never flown the A380 so not sure if it makes a really big difference in terms of comfort (I will travel with a baby :) )

From US to India -- since I am travelling during Christmas -- one way rate and return fare doesnt matter...so my roundtrip with Singapore Air is coming more expensive than if I fly separate airlines each way...hence leaning towards Atlantic route as duration is shorter while going to India....

Am considering Emirates via JFK or Qatar via IAD...for Qatar I will reach a day earlier but separate tickets on domestic sector and different airports as well ( and hence may have to do the domestic a night earlier and stop at some IAD hotel to rest)...Duration and Cost for both Emirates and Qatar are almost same.

7. Re: Travel from Denver to Kolkata (India) in Economy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 02, 2014