We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wheeled carry on / short connection time

Wingate, North...
2 posts
Save Topic
Wheeled carry on / short connection time

Hi! First timer here.I will be flying out of CLT on United ExpressJet emb 145.I plan only to pack carry on bag but now not sure if it will fit in that particular plane's overhead storage.I have a 21 inch wheeled carryon. How is that handled when the baggage is within carry on limits?I don't want to check any baggage that could get lost! I will be arriving at CLE and departing approx 25 minutes later on United/Chautauqa/ExpressJet emb 145. Will this short time be enough for getting from gate to gate at Cleveland?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,555 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wheeled carry on / short connection time

On smaller regional jets there is less overhead bin space and it's common for bags which are normally within the cabin baggage limits to be taken off passengers and gate checked, at no cost, if the bins are full and the bag wont fit under the seat.

The bag will be taken off you at the gate and returned to you at the gate at the arrival airport - this is normally quick but with a short connection of 25 minutes you have no room for any delays for whatever reason.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,199 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wheeled carry on / short connection time

I agree that your bag will not fit in the overhead bin of the commuter jet.

They will gate check the bag and give it back to you outside the door of the plane when you get off. IF the first plane is at all late I am afraid that you won't make your 2nd leg.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,847 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wheeled carry on / short connection time

If your bag is gate checked, 25 minutes probably will not be enough time. Rememeber, you do have to wait for the baggage handlers to bring your bags up to the door.

Are you on one ticket or 2 separate tickets. It's unusual for a 25 minute connection. Most MCT's are at least 30 minutes long. If you're on one ticket, I'd call the airline and arrange for a longer connection time.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,003 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wheeled carry on / short connection time

First, I'm going to make the assumption that you are on one United ticket. This means if you miss your connection, you will be moved to the next flight with an available seat. It also means that United sold this as a valid connection. As others state above, United's EMB145 do not have large overhead bins, so your carry-on will be gate checked and you will pick it up gateside or planeside, after landing. I disagree that you won't have enough time. United often builds in some extra time to arrival, so it's possible your plane may arrive early and the baggage agents are generally quick with gatechecks. Also, many (most) smaller express flights arrive and depart in the same area. So, the distance from your arrival gate and departure gate in CLE might be reasonably short. Here is the terminal map and D terminal is the one many smaller regional jets use.

united.com/web/…cle.aspx

Granted, I prefer more than 25 minutes - but it can be done, even with a gate check. Either way, good luck.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,539 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wheeled carry on / short connection time

You'll definitely have to gate check the bag. You get it back right at the gate when you land. That can take 5-15 minutes. Usually it's pretty quick. The bigger issue is 25 minutes leaves you almost no time for any flight delays. If everything is on time, you'll be fine. But it would not take much of a delay to cause you to miss the flight.

So the big question is what are the consequences of missing the flight? If there's flights to your final destination every hour and you have no firm appointments that you absolutely, positively can't miss at your final destination, then don't worry about it. But if the next flight is not until the next day or you're catching a cruise where missing the connection would cause a big problem, then I'd try to get something with more time.

Lake Crystal...
Level Contributor
591 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wheeled carry on / short connection time

With a connection that tight your seat location may factor in, even on a 145. You can exit a 145 from row 3 in a jiffy. From the back rows, not a great deal longer, but long enough to eat a good chunk out of 25 minutes. Definitely check in on-line and get a good seat, if you are not already in one.

If you use a softsided case instead of the wheelie and can actually carry your carry-on on you'll save time. I have seen gate checked bags on the jetway/gate almost instantly, but often not so instantly.

I like flying in the 145s because they are quick on, quick off, and usually don't involve much distance between gates when changing planes. Hope it all works well for you.

Wingate, North...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wheeled carry on / short connection time

I guess I'm just going to have to pray things go off smoothly! I just contacted United's reservations desk to try to book an earlier flight from CLT to CLE that would have about 3:30 hr connection time between flights. The reservation agent told me that since this timetable(25 minutes connection) is a valid time that I would be charged a substantial fee to change the flight. Never mind the fact that I made these reservations months ago with a 1 1/2hr connection itme and the airline changed the flight schedule and put me on the current itenerary! At least I did go ahead and pay a few extra dollars for the Charlotte/Cleveland flight so I could get a closer seat-6A and 7A on the connection flight to Albany.This is the first flight for me and I pray I don't have to go through it again!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,199 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wheeled carry on / short connection time

Hmm? Usually if an airline changes a schedule like that you have the right to accept the change or ask for a new flight at NO extra fee!

I'd call back and ask for a supervisor.

Lake Crystal...
Level Contributor
591 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wheeled carry on / short connection time

In my somewhat limited experience United has given me the opportunity to change my itinerary at no charge when they email me notice of the change in flight times. When I received notice of the change I also got a message along the lines of "If you don't like this, call us NOW and we'll change your itinerary." If I had waited a day, a week, or more before trying to change things, I imagine I would have been charged the change fees.

But you are going to be fine. You'll get there, one way or another, eventually. My first flight was to Argentina, was delayed, re-routed, and I arrived 22 hours late, but I got to visit two more airports, three more US states, and a country I had not planned on visiting! ;)

10. Re: Wheeled carry on / short connection time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, September 22, 2014