We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to book air

Delmar, NY
Level Contributor
23 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
When to book air

We will be traveling in Europe, May 2014. Flights will be paid for by credit cards points, therefore non-refundable and non-insurable. Assuming I am okay with that risk (even though I don't like it), should I be booking now or should I be patient and wait a few months?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,382 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to book air

Why would you wait?

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11,430 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to book air

Most 1st time posters on the Air Travel forum want to know when is the best time to buy flight tickets.

I wish we all knew the answer :)

3. Re: When to book air

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:23 am, September 26, 2013
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
59 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When to book air

As a flight attendant and once reservation agent i can tell you there is no perfect time to book. That tuesday thing is a myth....well at least with my airline. Its all based on availability so, generally the sooner you book the better. There are so many discount fares available then it jumps to the next highest fare. Although booking to soon, usually 3-4months wont necessarily save you money either. I usually book a couple months in advance.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,102 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When to book air

No one knows. Fares do not go up and down predictably. If they did, everyone would buy at the low prices and the airlines would adjust. Usually I say when you see a fare you like, buy it and don't look back.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
16,148 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When to book air

But the poster is not paying for his tickets-he is using points so unless there are special deals on discounted point flights (unlikely) it does not matter when he books,methinks (?)

SS

Italy
Level Contributor
39,508 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When to book air

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't book now, if the schedules out and it suits you go ahaed.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,102 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When to book air

I believe when you book using credit card points, not airline miles, the number of points you need is based on the cost of the ticket.

Edited: 11:23 am, September 20, 2013
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31,444 posts
588 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When to book air

If you are flying from New York City there are always good deals to Europe since most flights are mainly direct flights.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
45,998 posts
1,456 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When to book air

As a frequent flyer on several airlines (1K on UAL and Chairman on US Air), I book, as soon as I know my dates. In my case, the dates are more important, than a few $'s, here, or there.

Though I do not use "miles" to buy tickets, I do use those, plus various certificates to upgrade, and especially for any "overseas" trips. Early gets me more upgrades, but that does depend on the departure city (for the overseas leg) - some cities are better than others. On UAL, I find that IAD is better, than LAX or SFO (my closest hubs), but since it costs me the same points to upgrade from IAD to LHR, as from either LAX, or SFO to LHR, I'd rather be "up front" for longer, than flying across the US in Economy Plus, or even FC on an A-319/320. I'd just as soon get into my "chair," and then relax, until I arrive at my destination.

Again, I care more about availability of seats, and upgrades, than a few $'s, so others might fare better, by waiting, and hoping for some "sale."