We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KLM Nightmare

LARCHMONT
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
KLM Nightmare

Our Booking Ref # was 7BEHDG. My wife and I were looking forward to our trip to Africa aNd Amsterdam for a year. approximately 1 month Before the trip, my wife herniated four discs in her back. In order to make the flights more endurable, I went online to upgrade all of the seats I could to Comfort Economy. I couldn't finalize it online, so a KLM agent helped me on the phone. I spent about an addition $1000 to upgrade 6 seats, 3 flights, for about $189 per seat.

When we arrived at JFK, the nightmare began. At the Delta check-in, the agent said we only had the old seats in the back. I showed her not only the email confirmation with my upgraded seats, but the bank transaction print outs proving we paid for the seats. She refused to budge, and treated my wife and myself as an annoyance. I got angrier, and finally, she got a supervisor, which took about 20 minutes to get for me because the supervisors we in "a meeting". The supervisor was just as arrogant, as if we were giving them a hard time, just because we wanted the seats we paid for, as if WE were the problem. Finally, after so much stress and trouble, they gave us the seats we paid for. Consequently, on the plane, we actually happened upon the couple who paid for the same seats, but were displaced. They weren't as fortunate, and had to sit separately.

If this was the only problem, I would not be writing this letter. The next leg of the journey, Amsterdam to Kilimanjaro, had the exact same problem. The agent was friendlier, and more apologetic, and finally was able to get us two upgraded seats together, though not the 2 I paid for. We also had to stand in a long line at the Amsterdam airport in order to resolve this leg of the journey, and we had extreme stress and unease until the problem was resolved. While waiting for out flight, we, again, met two unhappy KLM travelers, who had paid for upgrades, and had to endure a huge hassle to get what they paid for.

But, our problems did not end there. Kilimanjaro to Amsterdam, we paid for 12 A and B, window and aisle seat. What we got was center aisle and the seat next to that, with me in between 2 people for the 11 hour flight. The people next to us had paid for upgrades, too, but in order to get the seats next to us, the flight attendants had to rearrange the seats of and depend on the benevolence of some random passengers for the husband and wife to sit together. They told us when they got on the plane, their seats were way in the back (they hadn't checked the boarding passes), even though they paid for economy upgrade.

Obviously, this problem is pervasive, and endemic. KLM seriously put a damper on our vacation, each step of the way, causing worry and stress each time, until the seating was resolved. My wife's documented medical condition dictated this to be so. This wasn't just an inconvenience, it is unbelievably terrible business practice.

I am not sure what, but, if ever it was called for, some sort of compensation is definitely in order. In any other business, this would constitute fraud. The attitude that we were the problem conveyed to us by your staff (with one exception) , only added insult to injury in this whole sordid mess.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: KLM Nightmare

Not sure where the nightmare is

You ended up getting your upgrades seats so what compensation do you think you are due? Because you did t get the exact seats your chose? Well that's not guaranteed anyway

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,906 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: KLM Nightmare

"The attitude that we were the problem conveyed to us by your staff (with one exception) "

"Your" staff? Did you think you're writing to KLM here? You're not.

Is this a copy of what you already sent to the airline? If so, it's a great example of how NOT to write to a business. Be factual. Be brief. State what the problem is/was, and what remedy you're seeking. Leave all the drama ("nightmare") out of it if you want to be taken seriously.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,316 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: KLM Nightmare

Hyperbole aside, it does sound like a hassle and a screw-up on KLM's part, Although as Irishfan says, probably not the best way to address the issue if this is the complaint sent.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: KLM Nightmare

I am surprised that you haven't entitled your post

" Never Fly KLM "

and assume that KLM and their staff would be quite happy if you never did.

5. Re: KLM Nightmare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 pm, September 18, 2013
Chicago
Level Contributor
6,716 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: KLM Nightmare

Definite screw-up by KLM but it's really not a "nightmare" and the hyperbole just makes people roll their eyes, frankly. And details of your wife's medical condition aren't really relevant, bottom line is you paid for a seat upgrade, regardless of the reason, and you had to struggle to get them as the system didn't reflect it.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
7,841 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: KLM Nightmare

Your nightmare was that at JFK and Amsterdam your purchased upgrade was not in the system and it took some time to sort this out. And on one flight you did not get the seat numbers you reserved.

I'd be very happy if these would have been my biggest nightmares while traveling.

By the way, you did not pay for seats 12A and 12B but rather for two Comfort Economy seats. At the time of upgrade you made a (free of charge) reservation for those two seats. Such reservations are always and on all carriers subject to change.

Boston
Level Contributor
923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: KLM Nightmare

Shonabby, I am sorry to hear of the aggravation you went through. You mentioned:

I went online to upgrade all of the seats I could to Comfort Economy. I couldn't finalize it online, so a KLM agent helped me on the phone.

Did you ever go to the airline website following the upgrade to confirm your new seat assignments? If not, this may be the route of your problem and could have been resolved well before arriving at the airport. As many on here recommend, checking your reservations often will pick up on these problems.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: KLM Nightmare

Hi

I booked Delta flights for my son through KLM and by going straight to the Delta website, using ticket number and last name it was a piece of cake to upgrade him to Economy comfort and chose his seats.

It is a nuisance when these things happen but I think you should have also got her airport assistance so she was seated whilst you were queuing to get it sorted. A bad back is a nightmare for such long flights and maybe if you ad added assistance they would have been more sympathetic to someone in a chir.

Jackie

Edited: 2:39 pm, September 18, 2013
10. Re: KLM Nightmare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, September 20, 2014