We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA - spending Avios...

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
107 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
BA - spending Avios...

Hi,

I have worked up 14672 Avios and 140 Tier points with BA. (What is actually the difference between Avios and Tiers?) Anyway, I thought this would be enough to book a flight from Oslo to London, maybe not a return ticket, but just one-way would be nice. Or an upgrade to Club Europe. But no matter what I do I always get a message saying that there are no available Avios-flights when I want to fly. I don't understand what's going on. When I check the Avios-flight calculator it says that I have enough points to book Oslo-London flights. Anyone else had a hard time actually spending the Avios, and anyone got any quickfix or suggestions?

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,655 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: BA - spending Avios...

very strange -I have just returned from Australia and Singapore -all first class using Avios

also have a flight booked from London to Atlanta in business once again using Avios

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,694 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: BA - spending Avios...

Well I'm looking forward to flying First Class to Boston at Easter using Avios ;-) if you can't find availibility, like others have said, you are not looking hard enough.

In the last two years I have flown CW to Cancun, San Francisco and Washington DC all during school holidays ;-)

13. Re: BA - spending Avios...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 pm, July 16, 2014
Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: BA - spending Avios...

Simon, posting on different threads is ridiculous, especially as it is you who could not be bothered to click on the "other" box.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,631 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: BA - spending Avios...

"beware of the fact that they hide the EXCESS amount in the section "other", which you need to click."

Or in other words, they don't hide it, you just didn't bother reading what you were getting.

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,694 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: BA - spending Avios...

Lexexpress-spot on! ;-) for 12,500 Avios each way I was able to upgrade flights to and from Punta Cana (originally booked in WT+). Good times! Salud!

Wickford, United...
1 post
Save Reply
17. Re: BA - spending Avios...

I completely agree!!! I discovered that the flights I'd planned to book to Florida were available online for £150 cheaper, including using 125000 avios. Flight availability is terrible and costs are much too high. My advice is, Don't use Avios - look at other better value options instead!!

18. Re: BA - spending Avios...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 pm, December 07, 2014
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,378 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: BA - spending Avios...

Great news! I'm sure those of us who do use Avios without too much trouble will be delighted there's less competition for seats. Ta muchly!

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: BA - spending Avios...

I have absolutely lost faith in BA and will be moving companies when I have got rid of these Avios points. After several years of dedicated BA flying, 120k+ avios, and using them for both business and personal, I am finally going on a long haul flight to combine work and a holiday.

I was first informed I could not upgrade unless I bought the most expensive economy ticket.Then I was told I further had to buy economy plus before I was permitted to upgrade to CE. THEN I was told that despite the flight being 4 months in advance I couldn't upgrade with avios but I was welcome to PAY. what is the point of actual AIRmiles when you can't use them on AIR?

I have spent a LOT of money on long and short flights and been totally loyal. This is disgusting - totally mis-sold, useless and unhelpful staff. I have been saving for this 12 hour flight to upgrade my gf and myself because she's never experienced anything like it before.

Being told to spend it on a hotel instead is a slap in the face. My company pays for that. Outrageous, terrible customer service, and they have lost a customer. I will actively recommend people do not believe anything about their worthless systems again.

Edited: 12:42 pm, December 07, 2014