We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA - spending Avios...

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
104 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
BA - spending Avios...

Hi,

I have worked up 14672 Avios and 140 Tier points with BA. (What is actually the difference between Avios and Tiers?) Anyway, I thought this would be enough to book a flight from Oslo to London, maybe not a return ticket, but just one-way would be nice. Or an upgrade to Club Europe. But no matter what I do I always get a message saying that there are no available Avios-flights when I want to fly. I don't understand what's going on. When I check the Avios-flight calculator it says that I have enough points to book Oslo-London flights. Anyone else had a hard time actually spending the Avios, and anyone got any quickfix or suggestions?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11,997 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA - spending Avios...

You are just 228 Avios away from having enough for a return flight, LHR-OSL in economy or one-way in CE. Reward seats are not unlimited so you are not guaranteed that there will be a seat to buy with points when you want to go. That said, availability is pretty good on that route. What dates are you looking at?

Upgrades to CE are only possible if you buy the most expensive economy seats so that's generally a poor use of points.

Tier points determine your status with BA, they can't be used for flying.

Edited: 3:48 am, September 17, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11,997 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA - spending Avios...

Sorry, make that 328 Avios.

Edited: 3:51 am, September 17, 2013
uk
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA - spending Avios...

What dates are you looking at?

I am seeing loads of availability for return flights LHR to OSL in EC, not much in CE however.

As Lex states, it is 15000 Avios and £35 taxes and fees.

There is also the option of using 12000 Avios and paying £65

Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA - spending Avios...

I'm with the OP on this. I have tens of thousands of "Avios" and for at least three years I have tried to spend some of them. There are practically never flights actually available, and when they are, the 'taxes' are invariably more than the cost of the flight in isolation on clearing sites like orbitz etc.

Trying to upgrade (especially using BA's worse-than-useless website) using Avios is, despite what they claim, just not possible.

In marketing terms, they are doing themselves no favours with this sham, because I will now elect to use any other airline given the choice. Unfortunately I am not always given the choice. I'm beginning to think the "B" in "BA" should stand for something other than 'British". And the A too come to that...

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,193 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA - spending Avios...

Have you thought about spending your Avios on Hotels or Car Hire rather than flights and upgrades.

With APD taxes etc. you have never going to get a particularly great deal on flights alone.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
33,491 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA - spending Avios...

I will now elect to use any other airline given the choice

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good, more places left for those who know how to use avios.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11,997 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BA - spending Avios...

"There are practically never flights actually available, and when they are, the 'taxes' are invariably more than the cost of the flight in isolation on clearing sites like orbitz etc.

Trying to upgrade (especially using BA's worse-than-useless website) using Avios is, despite what they claim, just not possible."

And yet many of us somehow manage to both fly on Avios and use them for upgrades. In fact, I just got off a flight purcahsed with Avios a couple of hours ago. Did you consider that perhaps you're doing something wrong?

uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BA - spending Avios...

Excellent news keep boycotting BA avois scheme all the more availability for me!

Don't forget to tell your friends and family not to use them as well.

Deb

Cornwall
Level Contributor
525 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BA - spending Avios...

Unfortunately reward flights are never going to be as available as paid for seats so I do empathise with the OP. I too have over a hundred thousand of them and sometimes struggle to spend them; although late night flights seem to have the most availability when I look to travel in Europe (which I wont do with young children). I have used them for carhire and hotel bookings via the BA website relatively easily, however.

And I agree, the avios booking part of the BA website is irritating beyond belief.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BA - spending Avios...

Thanks to my avios, it's years since I've had to endure a long haul flight in economy. In 2013 alone I've had return flights to Miami, Las Vegas and St Lucia in CW for a fraction of what those seats would have cost if I'd paid cash. You just need to take some time to familiarise yourself with the website, be dogged about checking the website for availability, and be fairly flexible about dates. And it helps if you're realistic in the first place; expecting avios availability and cash availability to be the same is mad. BA would go out of business if they filled their flights with avios bookings and had no seats left for passengers paying full fare.