We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Here I was looking to write a bad review on orbitz....

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Topic
Here I was looking to write a bad review on orbitz....

And there's a whole forum about it!

I was supposed to leave yesterday for Kenya, went over to the Air Canada counter to board my flight and they asked for my transit visa. Well surprise surprise I needed a visa to transit, but orbitz never bothered to tell me this. The nice people at Air Canada asked me who I had booked my flight with: when I said Orbitz, I could see it in their eyes. "It happens all the time with Orbitz, sorry. They will sell you anything, they don't care about the people, only the money."

Here I am thinking what a cool site, guess not.

Furthermore they said I could use the credit from my cancelled ticket but only with Turkish Airlines. Guess what? I called Turkish and they said it was Orbitz that had the power.

Still stuck in a city away from home, trying to get to Kenya and Orbitz is NOT helping me at all.

Boston
Level Contributor
923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Here I was looking to write a bad review on orbitz....

I thought visas and vaccines were the responsibility of the traveler.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,581 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Here I was looking to write a bad review on orbitz....

It is always the passenger's responsibility (that's you) to determine what documentation, such as visas, are required for your travel and then to obtain them. Orbitz is not a visa agency.

The only other party I would criticize in this respect is the Air Canada agent, IF they indeed said what you claim. Because had you bought tickets directly from the airline(s) it would still be your responsibility and you would still be in the mess you are now for not checking.

And, if the ticket was purchased through Turkish Airlines, then quite right that you can only use the credit on Turkish, as they are the ones providing the credit, not Orbitz.

Edited: 8:25 pm, September 16, 2013
East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,241 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Here I was looking to write a bad review on orbitz....

^^ Correct. It is ultimately the responsibilty of the passenger to ensure they have the correct documentation in place for any trips they plan to take. No ifs or buts.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,007 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Here I was looking to write a bad review on orbitz....

Sorry about your difficult situation but its not Orbitz's issue. I've never once had an airline tell me what visa I needed when I was booking a ticket. You have to look that up yourselves.

Shoalhaven...
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Here I was looking to write a bad review on orbitz....

Seems like Orbitz did the right thing (they are not supposed to offer advice about visa - but their T&C's clearly state it is the travellers responsibility).

While I am sure we all feel for your situation, you cannot blame Orbitz, and you travel insurance is likely not to cover this either

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Here I was looking to write a bad review on orbitz....

Still stuck in a city away from home, trying to get to Kenya and Orbitz is NOT helping me at all.

--------

AFAIK they dont advise on or supply visas so how could they ? sorry, but as everyone else has said, this is down to you and youd have had the same problem whoever you booked with.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,021 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Here I was looking to write a bad review on orbitz....

"The nice people at Air Canada asked me who I had booked my flight with: when I said Orbitz, I could see it in their eyes. "It happens all the time with Orbitz, sorry. They will sell you anything, they don't care about the people, only the money.""

Seeing that no 3rd party booker I know of pretends to advice on things like visas I find that pretty dubious. There are always downsides to booking through a 3rd party although Orbitz is hardly among the worst out there.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,821 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Here I was looking to write a bad review on orbitz....

How would Orbitz even know whether you need a visa? It's the airline that has your passport info, only the airline has any way of knowing.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,240 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Here I was looking to write a bad review on orbitz....

Somebody at Air Canada needs retraining if not disciplinary procedure, if what is claimed is true.

Another poster in a long line of blaming anyone but themselves for their own incompetence.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,377 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Here I was looking to write a bad review on orbitz....

Seems to me the OP read what he wanted to read into an ambiguous look by the Air Canada rep.