We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to buy tickets for international flight?

Dallas, Texas
10 posts
Save Topic
Best time to buy tickets for international flight?

I haven't traveled outside the country in quite awhile so I'm stuck on when to buy my ticket to get the best prices. I've been trying to do a lot of research. Unfortunately, most of the information I can find on the topic is a few years old or say completely different things. I'm planning a 3 month trip from the US to South America for the summer of 2014 and need to book an open jaw ticket. Tickets for the dates I need were recently released and they seem to be pretty well priced, but I'm still hesitant. Should I wait until a few months before my trip or just buy now?

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to buy tickets for international flight?

Don't be coy, tell us the approx date, routes and the price you are getting now. someone here is bound to know whether the fare is fair, a steal, or outrageously bad, and then can give you better advice.

Dallas, Texas
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to buy tickets for international flight?

Good point - my trip will be from early May to early August. I'll go from Dallas to Lima, Peru, and then the return flight is from La Paz, Bolivia to Dallas. Prices right now are around $860 with American Airlines.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,089 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to buy tickets for international flight?

No one knows when prices will go up and down. It's not repeatable. If it was, everyone would wait and the airlines would adjust accordingly. If the price seems reasonable, go ahead and buy. Since you have time, you can also watch for a while to see what typical fares are and then buy when you see a sale.

For reference, I had a round trip to Lima from ORD and two internal Peru flights on AA and LAN last May for about $875. That was the best I saw after watching fares for about a month before booking.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,378 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to buy tickets for international flight?

...and the most asked question on the forum gets asked again.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to buy tickets for international flight?

I haven't traveled outside the country in quite awhile so I'm stuck on when to buy my ticket to get the best prices

======

Don't worry, neither do people who DO travel outside the country a lot, know. If there was a simple rule, then as said, everyone would know it and buy then,and then the airlines would change things so that rule didnt work any more (and, perhaps, this already happened multiple times :-)

All you can do is buy when the prices seem reasonable to you. Its like buying houses or stocks, its unreasonable to expect the hit it at the lowest ever price, so track for a while, wait for a sale period of time allows, buy and don't look back.

Dallas, Texas
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to buy tickets for international flight?

Glad to see I'm not alone in this - thank you for the replies and I will keep all this in mind!

7. Re: Best time to buy tickets for international flight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 19, 2014