We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connection time

doncaster
Level Contributor
97 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Connection time

Hi,we are thinking of travelling to Orlando in november I have found a flight with ba from manchester for a good price you fly to New York then onto Orlando,which we don't mind, but the connection time is only 1 hour 30mins as anyone flown this route and is the connection time do able?

Thanks

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,463 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Connection time

Extremely unlikely you'd make the connection - you need to allow AT LEAST 4 HOURS even if using the same airport. Personally I would never connect through a US airport if arriving from outside the US

Whilst you would be put on the next available flight if you miss your connection, it doesn't mean it will be the next flight - it will be the next flight with space

BTW it won't be BA - they only fly to London airports from the provinces. It's probably a codeshare with AA.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,618 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connection time

"but the connection time is only 1 hour 30mins as anyone flown this route and is the connection time do able?"

I would never take a 1 hr 30 mins connection at any arrival airport connecting from an international to domestic flight - I personally aim for a connection window of at least 3 hours.

On arrival you'll clear US immigration where queues of 1 hour are not uncommon, collect bags, clear US Customs, return bags to the airline (AA?) and get to your departure gate which could involve clearing airport security - doing all this in 90 minutes might be possible but you have no room for any problems such as your incoming flight being delayed or queues at US Immigration.

I would add it won't be a BA flight to New York but a code share operated by AA.

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connection time

Not long enough to connect in NY..... I would opt for a connection time of at least 3 hours.

doncaster
Level Contributor
97 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connection time

Thanks for your reply,I will look for other flights,

You are right it is with AA, thanks for your help

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
391 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connection time

I have been to the connecting airport and would definite allow a connect time of 3 hours.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,792 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connection time

JFK is my home airport--no way!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connection time

Look at flights via dublin, many preclear US immigration there, so that you can make 90 minute connections,as there is no immigration arriving in the US.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connection time

We're flying United SFO to Chicago, then 1hr 11 min later on Lufthansa to Munich. We booked on 1 itinerary number thru Orbitz. United says bare minimum is 1hr 15 min. Crossing our fingers.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Connection time

this is an entirely different issue, and you are much more likely to make the connection. The op is entering the USA and has immigration, baggage and customs and possibly security to contend with you only have security and possibly not that.

However if United says the MCT is 75 minutes you should get your flights changed because its possible that at SFO they will refuse to accept you for the flight, or wont take any responsibility for a missed international leg.

You need to get this fixed IF the MCT really is 75 minutes. who told you this because i suspect that is for an international connection to domestic, you are doing domestic to international.

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,412 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Connection time

Lufthansa departs out of Terminal 1not 5 so if no problems and on one itinerary with United you should be okay but I also suggest doublechecking with United.