We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Asia - major headaches booking from N.America!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Air Asia - major headaches booking from N.America!!

Booking Siem Reap to Kuala Lumpur on Air Asia has taken over my life over the last week!!

Have tried online 8 times, 3 different cr cards (all confirmed ok by my bank, which is the largest bank in Canada), been on email and online customer service 5 times, changed my browser, cleared my computer's cache, called Singapore, redirected to Indonesia, called 4 times, changed calling from Skype to landline as requested, and left hanging listening to interminable Indonesian as my phone bill climbs and steam gushes from my ears.

Finally someone tells me Air Asia has problems accepting cards issued by certain foreign banks.

Anyone in the same boat?

Not that I will fly Air Asia after this, of course...just looking for a sympathetic North American cyber-shoulder.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Asia - major headaches booking from N.America!!

I;ve booked several tickets online thru the Air Asia website from the comfort of my laptop in Vancouver. . No problems at all. I use a Visa card issued by the largest credit union in BC.

Edited: 6:17 am, September 13, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Asia - major headaches booking from N.America!!

Have you tried lately though? This is a recent development. Here is what I got from Customer service (after the umpteenth attempt)

With regard to your email, as explained to you previously, we are facing some issues on payments by credit cards which are issued by certain foreign banks. As you were unable to use your credit card, may we suggest using paypal as the payment method for the flight booking. Upon paying using paypal, please use AUD as the payment currency.

Alternatively, you may call up any of our call centers nearest to you to make the flight booking. You may refer to this link: airasia.com/ot/en/contact-us/call-centre.page for more information.

Should you need any further assistance please submit online form and for simple inquiry follow us on Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/AskAirAsia) or chat with us on live chat for immediate assistance.

Best regards

Vincent

Customer Care

QUESTION: how does the paypal option work out? Paying in AUD, converting to CAD...yikes

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
44 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Asia - major headaches booking from N.America!!

I booked a ticket from SIN to KUL using my Amex platinum card. The transaction triggered a fraud alert from Amex (foreign transaction without the card present). Once I verified the transaction with Amex, the charge went through with no problem.

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,418 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Asia - major headaches booking from N.America!!

I did not pay an airline ticket via paypal, but a several days stay at a B&B in Jamaica, they used the interbank rate to convert the money, no loss.

It felt a little strange at first, but it was easy to do, took some time before paypal took the money out of my account, but the ammount would have been the same over the cc.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
43,714 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Asia - major headaches booking from N.America!!

The delay might be a blessing for you, they are about to launch a big sale (Sept. 17).

Edited: 4:04 pm, September 13, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Asia - major headaches booking from N.America!!

In reply to post #2, the last Air Asia flight I booked from Canada was on Aug 28th.

With Air Asia, I always select the currency of payment as MYR (Malaysian Ringgit) since that is Air Asia's 'home' currency with the airline based in Kuala Lumpur. You might give that a try if you haven't already.

As well, my Visa card is secured by the "Verified by Visa" program which Air Asia participates in and that screen comes up during the payment process.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Asia - major headaches booking from N.America!!

Thank you, all. I swallowed my words and booked 3 flights on Air Asia by using a credit card that did not have Visa Verify set up.

After a ping-pong of "it's not our machine, it's theirs" between RBC Visa and Air Asia, turns out Visa Verify approved the original transactions but subsequently Air Asia did not charge the card. They may have an issue with Visa Verify, or could be their machine was having a few off days.

8. Re: Air Asia - major headaches booking from N.America!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 16, 2014