We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon and 13 weeks pregnant - Emirates upgrade?

Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon and 13 weeks pregnant - Emirates upgrade?

Hello all,

We are getting married on a Friday and travelling to Mauritius on the Sunday 21:00 flight from Manchester to Dubai to Mauritius.

I'm wondering, if I explain at check-in that we just got married and I'm 13 weeks pregnant, how likely we will be to get an upgrade? Does anyone think this will be possible? I'm prepared to take marriage certificate and 12 week scan photo if necessary!

We will never be able to afford a holiday like this ever again, already think it's a luxury we are flying with Emirates, but just wondered how far I can push my luck.

Any hints and tips gratefully received!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
19,559 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon and 13 weeks pregnant - Emirates upgrade?

I'd say that your chances of an upgrade are slim to non. The days when honeymooners could request free upgrades are long gone - airline upgrades now go to frequent flyers.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,360 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon and 13 weeks pregnant - Emirates upgrade?

Free upgrades are given, if given at all, to those individuals who are status members of an airlines frequent flyer club. Your being pregnant--even if you just got married is worth a big fat zero. Pregnant women are not special and even honeymooning couples are not a big deal. You can ask--cost nothing, but your expectations should be nil to nothing.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
39,558 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon and 13 weeks pregnant - Emirates upgrade?

As above and see my reply to you on Mauritius forum :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon and 13 weeks pregnant - Emirates upgrade?

Congratulations on everything, but relatively speaking having worked in the industry for some time, to be blunt given the check in staff have heard it all before you have very little chance of getting one.

Doesn't hurt to ask though.

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,059 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon and 13 weeks pregnant - Emirates upgrade?

Op ups with Emirates are few and far between at the best of times. Even very frequent fliers with EK dont get as many upgrades anymore.

So really all the stories of honymoon/baby/birthday/injury/dressing smart and so on have all been heard before by the check in agents. They are way behind in the pecking order of frequent fliers (Plant,Gold, Silver) so if economy is oversold, they give FF first priority and rightly so IMO. Can you imagine if everyone who pleaded a case such as this got an upgrade?

So the likelyhood of an upgrade is not very likely to happen, if you want business class travel, you have to pay for it. Of course there are always some exceptions to the rule and sure people will come to post that they got an upgrade but not always on the airline your asking about.

If you do a search on the forum you will find other threads regarding this.

London, United...
Level Contributor
223 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon and 13 weeks pregnant - Emirates upgrade?

Congratulations !

If you're not a frequent flyer then I'd say you've got next to no chance - and for the check in staff I know, asking them for an upgrade with your marriage certificate and scan in hand would reduce it to absolute zero. I'd suggest dropping it into conversation as casually as you can - if they ask you how you are then say you're very excited as you're off on honeymoon, for example - and avoid asking outright for an upgrade. Ultimately I'd prepare to be disappointed though, airlines have a well established protocol for upgrading these days, and handing away thousands of pounds of free product to a traveller they'll never see again isn't the done thing :-(

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon and 13 weeks pregnant - Emirates upgrade?

Your chances are close to zero. Emirates only give free upgrades when they have to, i.e. overbooking.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,604 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon and 13 weeks pregnant - Emirates upgrade?

I was still flying weekly for work at 8 months pregnant and never got upgraded. (Well, not because of that, anyway.) It doesn't work that way, sorry. But congratulations, and enjoy your honeymoon!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon and 13 weeks pregnant - Emirates upgrade?

only way to guarantee an upgrade is to pay for it.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon and 13 weeks pregnant - Emirates upgrade?

Doesn't hurt to ask though.

Can do. I've heard of airline staff marking reservations of those who request upgrades so if the gate are in a rush to get the flight out and need to upgrade randoms they'll skip over them deliberately. As others have said airline staff have heard it all before, particularly when you're going to a popular honeymoon spot.

My view is that if the occasion doesn't warrant you buying an upgrade why should the airline essentially do it for you?