We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Break the journey in Hong Kong?

aussiesseetheworld
Level Contributor
140 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Break the journey in Hong Kong?

Are a family of three travelling from Sydney to London in June 2014

We're thinking of travelling with Virgin Atlantic in Premium Economy but wondering if a stop over in HKG would make the trip easier

Has anyone stopped for just one night?

I realise everyone has a different perspective, but in your opinion, is it worth the effort to get off the plane, transit into the city etc or should we just suck it up and soldier on to LHR after a 90 minute layover?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Break the journey in Hong Kong?

Definitely have a stopover.

It's quick and easy to get into the city. When you want to get back to the airport there is a check in counter at Kowloon Station. HK is a fascinating city, great food, lots to do and see. Think of it as part of the holiday!

VA used to include a free o/night stop in HK for PE and Business passengers. Might be worth checking if its still the case.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,827 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Break the journey in Hong Kong?

I agree. Your time in HK won't be wasted or a loss from your European holiday. Instead it is a wonderful addition to your holiday. Airport arrival formalities are simple and you will be in your hotel in no time. Don't try to do too much if your time is short but get outside and see something interesting, eat a nice meal and have a good rest.

I find it makes a huge difference to how I feel on the second half of the flight and for my first few days in Europe. I have flown straight through twice and I will never do it again unless it is an emergency. My 4 trips with stopovers (HK, Singapore, Bangkok, and Dubai) have all gone much easier.

On the way home I usually stopover for longer - that way I feel like I'm getting an extra holiday.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,553 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Break the journey in Hong Kong?

We always fly straight through, although I seem to be lucky and have never sufferred from jet lag. We are usually restricted to quite short holidays to Europe and so we always want to get there/get home ASAP. So it comes down to personal choice I guess.

If we were able to take longer holidays I think a stopover would be good.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Break the journey in Hong Kong?

We also fly straight through ... doesn't seem to bother me too much.

BUT Honk Kong is a great city and well worth the stop on a couple of conditions. If you were arriving in the afternoon and leaving in the morning I wouldn't bother .... you need a decent amount of time if only to take in the view from the peak and get to the night markets. There's loads to do in Hong Kong and you would need a full 24 hours to justify the stop (in my opinion)

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,396 posts
646 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Break the journey in Hong Kong?

Hi,

Another vote for flying straight through with minimum layover, to maximise time in destination - however, to try and answer your question - as we love HK - and as others have indicated - IMHO - it would depend upon how much time you have available - airport formalities aside - then - depending where you are staying 45 - 60 + or - minutes shuttle or train to accommodation would have to be factored into the equation - so - if you have the luxury of time by all means stopover.

have a great trip!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Break the journey in Hong Kong?

Has anyone stopped for just one night?

-----

Seems to me the cost and hassle of just one night isn't worth it once you factor in travel to and from airport, hotels, them you need to get out hotel to sights,back again, what to do with luggage if checkout is noon and flight back in the evening.

So I'd say either stay two nights or go straight through. Your schedule and overall time you as to whether two nights is feasible probably decide that more than the cost.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,806 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Break the journey in Hong Kong?

I agree with Joe. Not worth the cost for just one night as you won't get to see much and then factor in the time to get back to the airport. Fly straight through.

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Break the journey in Hong Kong?

I stopped over in HK on one trip to the UK, but I had 3 nights there which was definitely worth it. One night is almost pointless - you get to the hotel, have a meal, sleep for a few hours, then you're back at the airport. Seems an unnecessary expense for a one night stopover. If all you plan on is a 1 night stopover then don't do it - just keep going. Not worth the hassle.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Break the journey in Hong Kong?

I have to agree with the last few posts- in theory. If you only have one night there are compelling arguments to fly straight through.

However, if, like me, you have back problems, can't sleep or even relax on a flight and end up at the destination in pain, exhausted and feeling like s**t for the next three days, those few hours of sleep in a hotel bed on the way over make flying Economy tolerable.

I think of the cost of the hotel as a cheap substitute for a flat bed in Business Class.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Break the journey in Hong Kong?

I'm a big fan of the stopover. Sitting in a plane for 24 hours is torture. Being able to have a sleep and a shower is priceless.