We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photocopying Passports and Social Security Card

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
28,556 posts
537 reviews
Save Topic
Photocopying Passports and Social Security Card

Was curious, when traveling aboard it makes mention to have a photocopy of your passport and if need be your SSN and maybe Credit Card. Was curious on if using your phone to take a picture of your passport main page, SS Card and Credit Card was sufficient enough? Or do you need a printed photocopy of the passport, SS Card to bring around?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Photocopying Passports and Social Security Card

Printout would be handier if you are prone to losing your phone or letting the battery run down or if you are traveling somewhere without regular electricity or cellular service.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,051 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photocopying Passports and Social Security Card

'... when traveling aboard it makes mention to have a photocopy of your passport and if need be your SSN and maybe Credit Card.' Who is *it* who makes mention of this?

I can't imagine any reason you would need to provide a photocopy of your Soc Sec card to anyone whilst travelling; photocopies of credit cards could mean more problems if the copies were lost, as someone would then have the information needed to create cloned cards.

If you would like to take a photograph of your passport's picture page and credit cards then you may do so. I use online banking to keep track of credit card use when travelling and memorised passport number and expiry date (handy for API and completion of landing cards).

Edited: 5:40 pm, September 03, 2013
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photocopying Passports and Social Security Card

It is always a good idea to have copies of important travel documents, yes. Having photographs of those on your smartphone can't do any harm. I don't see any difference between a hard copy and a photo on a smartphone.

It is especially important to have those copies in case you lose your passport. The embassy or consulate will have a much easier job to issue you a replacement passport, as they could match the passport number with your name etc. to verify your identity.

I have both. Photographs of my travel documents on my phone and hard copies in my checked bags.

I don't really see why you would need a copy of your credit card, though. You could write down the number, but if you'd have to have it cancelled or something like that you should be able to do that with just your name.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,709 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Photocopying Passports and Social Security Card

Send a copy of your material to your webmail. Don't have a webmail address? Get one. They are free. That way you have access to it wherever you have internet access.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Photocopying Passports and Social Security Card

I don't know why you would need CC information. On the occasions mine has been lost or stolen I've always reported it over the phone and never been asked the number, just the secret identification details that my CC company knows about me like DOB and mothers maiden name. A more useful thing to have in your phone would be the CC company's 24/7 emergency phone number.

I've only had to replace a passport once and there, again, I was never asked for a picture of my old one.

Still, its only a couple of shots on the photo stream. Can't hurt can it.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,638 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Photocopying Passports and Social Security Card

Who is "it"?

I scan a copy of my passport and email it to myself at an internet-based email address (gmail). That way, if needed, I can go to any computer and download and print a copy of the passport. I have never considered doing this for a social security card, and can't imagine why I'd need that. I like this method better than copies, as lost copies could mean personal information would get into the hands of the wrong people.

I did need to use my scanned passport, once, when I was pickpocketed in Chicago. In order to board my flight home, the TSA also reviewed a power bill, magazine labels, Rx labels, and other items I produced with my name on them, but the passport was most persuasive.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,161 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Photocopying Passports and Social Security Card

I would use either a hard copy or a copy stored in an internet based storage spot, like an email in a gmail account. I would not use your phone as if you're robbed or pick pocketed, it's very possible they'd take your phone along with your documents. The idea is to have a copy stashed in a separate location.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Photocopying Passports and Social Security Card

Your Social Security card is NOT an ID document and should NEVER be carried with you anywhere!!

I can't imagine some web site telling you to bring that info when you travel!!!

You shouldn't have it with you in your wallet or anywhere out of your home!!!

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,838 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Photocopying Passports and Social Security Card

YAY, riffm!! I was going to say the same thing.

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Photocopying Passports and Social Security Card

+1. And a social security number means absolutely nothing outside of the US.