We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Transfers in Europe. what companies should i use??

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
38 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Transfers in Europe. what companies should i use??

Hey Everybody

I am going to europe this december and was thinking about getting airport transfers from some of the cities we will be flying into and i have a few questions

First of all do you recommend getting a transfer? or should i use public transport or taxis. I feel like using public transport will be very difficult with luggage etc, and there is always the possibility that we will not know where to go. Also will there be long lines for taxis? we are travelling in the off season so the lines might not be as long, and will the prices be higher?

The airports I will be needing transfers from to the hotel are:

Dublin airport, Ireland

Edinburgh Airport

London Heathrow airport

and possibly a transfer from Rome to the Rome international airport

Thanks for your suggestions, planning trips can be quite confusing with all the options these days.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,642 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Transfers in Europe. what companies should i use??

In Edinburgh, I would take the Airlink bus to the city centre. In London, thousands of people (I am one) use the Underground from and to Heathrow every day without concern. I'll leave the options for Dublin and Rome to others.

December is not 'off season', but will be a busy time in the four cities you mention. The option for transport in London (and very possibly Edinburgh) is a prebooked car service, but depending on your hotel choice you may find the Underground journey as fast as travelling by road and considerably cheaper.

londontoolkit.com/blog/…a.jpg The Piccadilly line cars have space near both sets of double doors for bags. Not all central London stations have step free access to street level, but with a bit of forward planning (and perhaps a taxi or bus for part of the journey) the Underground trip from LHR to the city centre isn't complicated.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,837 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Transfers in Europe. what companies should i use??

I would ask for advice on the specific forums for each city - there are good public transport links from LHR and hundreds do this journey everyday.

The airport websites might also links to suggested companies offering transfer services - I wouldn't worry about long cab lines as there should be plenty available during the day.

If you use a cab just make sure you use the licensed cabs rather than being tempted by any unlicensed operators who are known to tour for business at some airports.

Mirleft, Morocco
Level Contributor
141 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Transfers in Europe. what companies should i use??

Let me google that for you...

Dublin: dublinairport.com/gns/…overview.aspx

Heathrow: heathrowairport.com/transport-and-directions

Edinburgh: edinburghairport.com/transport-and-directions

Rome: http://www.rome-airport.info/in.html

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Transfers in Europe. what companies should i use??

Dublin:taxi

Edinburgh: taxi

London: tube or HEX

Rome: fast train to 'termini'

Would be my suggestions having been to all 4 destinations.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Transfers in Europe. what companies should i use??

London: tube or HEX

======

For more than one person, (the OP uses "we") a pre-booked car service is usually preferable to HEX.

6. Re: Airport Transfers in Europe. what companies should i use??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:42 am, November 17, 2013
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,682 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Transfers in Europe. what companies should i use??

Both the HEX and HEC have the big disadvantage of taking you to Paddington which, for someone arriving early in the morning on a weekday, won't be very pleasant as you will be fighting it out with tens of thousands of commuters for Tube / bus / taxi in order to get to your final destination

8. Re: Airport Transfers in Europe. what companies should i use??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:42 am, November 17, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,165 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Transfers in Europe. what companies should i use??

Dublin and Edinburgh are not large cities and have only one airport each and even then it depends on where you are staying in each city so post these questions on the individual forums.

Without detailed info I would say LHR definitely depends on your final hotel location. Rome I agree take the train and then taxi from the Termini.

I just got back from Dublin and taxi's are fairly cheap there to get into the city, say €30 but there is also a good bus service.

Edinburgh probably taxi unless your hotel is on the bis route.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,234 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Transfers in Europe. what companies should i use??

"And no one has mentioned Heathrow Connect, which is a bit slower but cheaper and goes from Heathrow to Paddington too."

And it only runs twice an hour, and only from the station serving T1 & T3. More often than not the Connect works out much slower than the tube.

Parismeow,

For London, ask on the London forum (TALF). This type of question comes up daily, and the answer depends on where you're staying, the date and time of arrival, also in more detail how long you're staying and whether you want to use the "2 for 1 offers" (TALF has all the info on those).

TALF can also help with hotels, as long as you give us your nightly budget in £ pounds.