We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubai vs Bangkok vs Singapore Stopover

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Topic
Dubai vs Bangkok vs Singapore Stopover

Doing the long haul from Europe out to South Korea for business and got the opportunity to stop on the way back for 3 nights (2 days) holiday.

Was wondering what people thought of Dubai vs Bangkok vs Singapore as stopover places? I'm not a "party guy" nor am I looking to buy some bling/brands/etc etc - just want an interesting and safe place to spend a few days.

Thoughts?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,668 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dubai vs Bangkok vs Singapore Stopover

All of them are safe enough as such.

The different culture easily causes friction with Western tourists in Dubai dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1272724/FO-Du…

Bangkok and Singapore are closer to the Korean time zone, so stopping in either one you will have less issues with jet lag while staying there. Of course on the way back staying in Dubai would help you ease into your home time zone.

Bangkok is much cheaper than Singapore, but if you want to explore the town you probably don't want to visit Bangkok in October which tends to be the rainiest month. In Singapore it rains practically every day but in a very predictable pattern guidemesingapore.com/relocation/introduction…

I would claim that Bangkok is the most interesting town, but I'm not exactly impartial considering where I'm living.

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,550 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dubai vs Bangkok vs Singapore Stopover

What about BA's new A380 to Hong Kong

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
92 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dubai vs Bangkok vs Singapore Stopover

Personally I would choose Bangkok. I have stayed over many times in Bangkok and Singapore and prefer Bangkok as its a bit cheaper and I like the feel of the city better. While it has the huge 80+ story modern buildings, air conditioned train systems, huge malls etc it still retains a lot of its Thai old world charm.

Singapore is great also and fantastic if you are a foodie (Bangkok is great also). Things are typically more expensive but still cheaper then most of Europe / USA / Australia.

In short, you won't be disappointed with either.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dubai vs Bangkok vs Singapore Stopover

I would chose Bangkok. I've lived I. So galore and visited Dubai and Bangkok. Bangkok is vibrant and exciting f and the people Are lovely

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dubai vs Bangkok vs Singapore Stopover

It depends a bit on how much you have traveled in Asia.

Singapore is a lot 'easier' than Bangkok for the novice traveler. Everyone speaks English, the signs are in English and its small enough to get around easily in a few days. The MRT is very easy to navigate and there's a rich and diverse history to explore ranging from Colonial British, Chinese, Malay and Indian - and of course, the amazing foods associated with each of those cultures.

Bangkok is also a great city but its vast and a bit more demanding of the traveler. Of course, in contrast to Singapore, its totally monocultural but the Thai culture and food are great to experience. The temples are amazing!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,668 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dubai vs Bangkok vs Singapore Stopover

Re#5: If you explore Bangkok you can notice that it is not monocultural. Plenty of mosques and Muslim communities even in the downtown area. Indian influences are visible here and there from Hindu shrines to Pahurat (Little India). Yaowarat (Chinatown) is rather different from the rest of Bangkok although Chinese influence tends to be mildly everywhere due to plenty of Thais having Chinese roots, especially in the better-off sections of the population.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dubai vs Bangkok vs Singapore Stopover

I would choose Singapore.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dubai vs Bangkok vs Singapore Stopover

I would choose Bangkok, I like Singapore but it doesn't have the culture that Bangkok has.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,762 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dubai vs Bangkok vs Singapore Stopover

Bangkok for sure.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,060 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dubai vs Bangkok vs Singapore Stopover

It would be Dubai for me. Closer to home to ease yourself into the time zone. It's interesting, clean, safe and has excellent hotels with fabulous service.