We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Airlines ruined our vacation

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
American Airlines ruined our vacation

I went online to print out boarding passes for our much anticipated vacation 8/29, the day before departure. I was unable to do so after multiple attempts so called for assistance.

I was passed from agent to agent (3x) and then to a first level supervisor as I was told there was an "issue" with my reservation.

I was transferred to Susan White, a senior supervisor based in RTP.

I was on the phone a total of 1 hour and 47 minutes. Susan explained that I had no reservation. Her research showed that the supervisor who was involved in assisting me last phone call with American (it was a reissue situation and the first two agents I spoke with gave me conflicting pricing information so I asked to be sent to a supervisor to get someone who actually knew what they were doing) created the reservation, assigned extra charge seats and collected my additional payment. However, she neglected to complete the last stage of this process and submit the reservation.

Due to her error, we were unable to take our trip to Jamaica. We have lost vacation time, paid resort cancellation penalties, lost our prepaid private transfer, lost our purchased passes for Club MoBay and their meet and greet program.

Ms. White was gracious and apologized profusely for this huge error on American's part. She was however, unable to accommodate us on that flight as the seats were all sold out. I expect AA to provide compensation for our lost vacation and have contacted them directly via email and also on their FB page.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,967 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: American Airlines ruined our vacation

That's really awful. I hope you get reimbursed. I would have hoped that they'd have accommodated you on any airline that still had seats free, given the nature of their error.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American Airlines ruined our vacation

Wow! I know you are a very frequent traveler and it is hard to imagine this happening to you!!

Soo sorry !!

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: American Airlines ruined our vacation

Tough break.. This is why I always hit the manage my booking button a day or so after booking just to make sure I am in the system.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,335 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American Airlines ruined our vacation

Wow, sorry that happened. And I'm also surprised they couldn't/wouldn't rebook you on other airlines.

Make sure you write to AA. And make your letter polite, factual and concise. Don't state "American ruined our vacation", as it was the mistake of one agent. It does no harm to compliment Ms. White and indeed that may help. Be clear what you'd like AA to do about it.

Two things however. First, do you have travel insurance? Because that would cover your lost costs at the destination. It's not clear that AA will reimburse you those costs, though you can ask and see what you get.

Secondly, how long ago did the ticket (non) reissue occur? And how often did you check the reservation between then and check in? I fear this may be a perfect example of why you need to check your reservations frequently. It doesn't absolve American of blame, but had you discovered this earlier, the situation could have been retrievable.

Good luck.

Edited: 9:31 am, September 01, 2013
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American Airlines ruined our vacation

I was going to say the same thing, MrMarcoos. Whenever I make any kind of flight reservation, I check every ten days or so, to make sure there have been no changes. It's curious to me that you never checked your reservation.

I'm not saying it was your fault, quite the contrary. I just can't imagine never checking my booking between the purchase date and flight date.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
20,690 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: American Airlines ruined our vacation

Are you saying that the last stage of taking the money from your account didn't take place? Didn't you notice that funds hadn't left your account?

This is why I'm a firm believer of checking my reservation on a regular basis.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: American Airlines ruined our vacation

She apologized profusely but didn't resolve the problem, they should have at least booked you with another airline given that they admitted they were at fault, anyway let us know how it goes with the compensation.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: American Airlines ruined our vacation

Tough break.. This is why I always hit the manage my booking button a day or so after booking just to make sure I am in the system.

-----------

It is possible to have a reservation pull up in a "Manage My Booking" or similar in the situation the OP had. The key is ensuring it gets ticketed too and this was where the issue occurred by the sounds of things. I've had similar before both on AA and other carriers. Once I didn't find out until I got to the airport and missed my flight as it took too long to resolve, but I left that evening instead. The other time (on AA) I went to OLCI the night before and the first flight had disappeared from the reservation. I called first thing the next morning on the day of travel and managed to snag the last two seats in the cabin I was booked. No explanation given for the dropped segments but all is well that ends well.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: American Airlines ruined our vacation

The charges did hit my card and were just refunded. I have contacted their customer service department and posted on their FB page.

And the reservation showed up when I logged in to my AA account post booking. It seems it sat there for a awhile and was dormant rather than cancelled.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
337 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: American Airlines ruined our vacation

Hi

The way I read your post it looks like you say they actually took more payment from you for the "extra charge " seats in the reservation. If that's the case its unbelievable they didn't accommodate you on another flight.

I don't normally book AA direct, but instead normally as a part of a One World circle Pacific fare when we go to the US every year. Once we pay we always receive an email with electronic copies of all the tickets - doesn't AA do that when you pay direct ?

In any case, hopefully AA have acknowledged their mistake to youin writing so you are in a strong position to receive compensation.