We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne - Honolulu Jet Star Business Class

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
53 reviews
Save Topic
Melbourne - Honolulu Jet Star Business Class

We travelled on an older plane and paid approximately $1500 return.

Business class is basically similar to Australian domestic business class, with more leg room and more comfortable seats than economy.

The staff were very friendly responsive and should be congratulated on their performance. The food was fine, as long as you do not expect the same quality or variety you get in long haul business class.

We sat in row 6 which was good, as they often put families in row 1. Also the overhead TV screens were on all night, and their glow would have made sleeping in the front rows much harder.

There are no TV screens in the seats, so preloaded iPads are available at no cost. However the selection of movies and shows is very thin. As a result, if you have your own tablet, then I would suggest that you download what you want to watch before hand - otherwise it can be a long flight !

In summary, we would be happy to fly with jet star business again.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,660 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne - Honolulu Jet Star Business Class

JetStar doesn't have any "older" planes. Their long haul aircraft were put in service as late as 2011 and as early as 2002 (passed down from Qantas). That, by world standards, is a very young fleet. $1500 is a good price for business class. Cradle seat I would assume rather than horizontal lay-flat?

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne - Honolulu Jet Star Business Class

Jetstar's first flight didn't take off until May 2004 they were old Impulse aircraft and new A320's

The fleet on the Honolulu run were new A330's in 2007 not QF planes from memory

Edited: 9:39 pm, August 31, 2013
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,660 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne - Honolulu Jet Star Business Class

"The fleet on the Honolulu run were new A330's in 2007 not QF planes from memory"

You can look up the details of their fleet on airfleets.net

Yes, the original A330 aircraft were QF hand-me-downs, specifically VH-EBC, VH-EBA, VH-EBD, and VH-EBB. Those 4 aircraft are all 2002-2003 vintage. VH-EBJ and VH-EBK also came from QF where they began service life in 2008. So, as it turns out, 60% of their A330s come from QF. JQ has 4 that they obtained on their own new, which may well be on the HNL route, but I'm sure not solely placed there.

Edited: 9:48 pm, August 31, 2013
Queensland
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne - Honolulu Jet Star Business Class

True, most of the A330's came from the Qantas fleet and will gradually be returned to Qantas mainline operations once Jetstar receive their 787's, first one due this month. Every one I have been on appears well maintained and they are definitely not old. Maybe it's the Jetstar fit out that makes them appear older.

5. Re: Melbourne - Honolulu Jet Star Business Class

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, September 05, 2014