We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keep airline ticket open or get refund?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Keep airline ticket open or get refund?

Hi, a family emergency has arrised and I can't confirm when I can fly out. The next most probable date is 2-3 weeks from this Sunday.

My tickets were bought through Orbitz for Turkish Airlines. I can get a refund but lose $500 or change the date for a $264 change fee not including fare difference.

Just to get an estimate of prices for a date changed forward, 3 weeks from this sunday, costs $632 per ticket, which was ridiculous do to them not having the "same class" but when I search the google flight matrix there is a much cheaper flight option.

So my questions are:

-Keep the tickets open? This would result in fare difference and a change fee. So far most expensive route.

-Get a refund, lose about $500. I would then need to rebook another flight but I won't be sure when I can book a flight and also I would be booking within 3 weeks so everything will be expensive already as compared to buying my original tickets back in June.

Thanks!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Keep airline ticket open or get refund?

but when I search the google flight matrix there is a much cheaper flight option

-------

Most likely that's just picking up prices from third parties which probably don't exist when you try to book them.

If you can't be sure of your dates I'd take the refund you don't want to be in a position where you have to change twice,if you can be sure then I'd have thought a change would be cheaper? You'll have to pay the fare difference (eg the new higher cost) anyway, one way or another, new ticket or changed ticket.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Keep airline ticket open or get refund?

I agree, I'll get the refund as everything is up in the air.

3. Re: Keep airline ticket open or get refund?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 02, 2014