We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United airlines from Delhi (India) to New york direct flight

Salem, New Hampshire
2 posts
Save Topic
United airlines from Delhi (India) to New york direct flight

Its for my mom. My mom has never traveled alone. This time she has to travel alone from Delhi to New York. I saw these flights from New Delhi to New York direct for 15 hours for both United airlines and Air-India. Both are almost the same price but I want to make sure that it would be comfortable enough for her.Please share your experiences so that I can decide the suitable flight for her. There are also other flights with one/two stops but I am not that eager. what do you guys think?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,496 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United airlines from Delhi (India) to New york direct flight

I've taken that flight the other way - New York (actually Newark) to Delhi. It's a good flight for 14-15 hours. United uses a 777-200ER from the Continental side of the merger, with full AVOD, and the seats were perfectly comfortable for me. If your mom can stretch to paying a little extra she can get extra legroom with Economy Plus, which is a real bonus for a flight of that length.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,559 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United airlines from Delhi (India) to New york direct flight

Where does your mom need to go after the flight lands?

I ask because the United flight lands at EWR Newark airport and the other flights may go into JFK.

They are in 2 very different locations and that might affect ease of travel to her final destination.

I love flying into Newark when I need to get into Manhattan or NJ or perhaps upstate NY.

IF she needs to go to Queens or Long Island then JFK may be better.

Edited: 3:16 pm, August 27, 2013
Salem, New Hampshire
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: United airlines from Delhi (India) to New york direct flight

Thanks! Actually I would go down to newark or new york to we both would fly to boston. So thats not a problem. Thanks for your reply tho.

Kiama, Australia
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United airlines from Delhi (India) to New york direct flight

Although I would choose the UA flight without hesitation, in this case it appears to me that your mum may be inexperienced and possibly elderly. In that case she may be more comfortable on a familiar plane with many familiar faces.

However if that is not the case, I have used the UA service and find it more superior (and agree with USBT, pay a little extra for economy plus.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,769 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United airlines from Delhi (India) to New york direct flight

I flew the United flight round trip and it was fine. It's a long flight and like most flights, the food's not great and there's not a lot of room. But it was comfortable enough, and it had AVOD, where you get the video screens in the back of each seat. I actually like the long flights with those because it's a great way to catch up on movies I've missed when they were in the theater.

If the choice is that or a one stop, I would absolutely take the direct flight. Most of the difficulties and issues with flying come with connections. That's when you can lose bags or miss a flight. And if your Mom has never flown alone, I would think the stress of finding her own way through an international airport would be worse than any issue on the flight itself.

6. Re: United airlines from Delhi (India) to New york direct flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, August 29, 2014