We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Korean Airlines and knitting needles in carry on bag

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Korean Airlines and knitting needles in carry on bag

I know this is something that comes up fairly regularly, but since I'm leaving in a week, I just thought I'd see if anyone had any recent experience with knitting needles on Korean Air. I looked at their site and they say no, but maybe (she types with her fingers crossed) they loosened up the knitting restrictions.

thanks!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,799 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Korean Airlines and knitting needles in carry on bag

Can't say specifically about Korean, but TSA does permit knitting needles. My wife knits every minute of every flight - domestically and internationally. Never been an issue.

tsa.gov/traveler-information/transporting-kn…

It's possible Korean may enforce something different on board, but TSA will permit knitting needles to pass security.

Good luck.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,706 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Korean Airlines and knitting needles in carry on bag

Korean does list knitting needles as a prohibited item in carry ons on their website.

No I haven't had personal experience (I don't knit). But if KE prohibits them, they are liable to confiscation. While there's the possibility that you'll get away with it, and others may have done so, there's always the risk that they'd confiscate them. I wouldn't risk it.

Finland
Level Contributor
894 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Korean Airlines and knitting needles in carry on bag

They might allow them if they are made of bamboo or plastic, instead of metal.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
15,429 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Korean Airlines and knitting needles in carry on bag

I saw someone knitting on a VA flight to the USA. I was amazed as I had no idea knitting needles were allowed on planes. They were wooden with very sharp ends and about 10" long.

Edited: 4:00 am, August 26, 2013
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Korean Airlines and knitting needles in carry on bag

Even though the TSA web site says knitting needles are allowed, a screening officer may still decide that they are dangerous and confiscate them accordingly.

Likewise if the airline or Korean security officials decide that they are dangerous then that's it.

I suggest you pack them in your check in luggage.

Cheers.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Korean Airlines and knitting needles in carry on bag

It's TSA, not the airlines, that does the inspection of carry-on bags. Airlines pass on info from TSA.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Korean Airlines and knitting needles in carry on bag

If it lists them as prohibited then I wouldn't take them as in all probability they'll be confiscated. If you like you can send them a quick e-mail and ask but if it's already on their website I doubt you'll get a positive reply.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Korean Airlines and knitting needles in carry on bag

Thanks everyone! I may give it a go with some cheap yarn and not so pointy wooden needles. That way if they take them, it's not a huge loss.

Knitting keeps me calm when I'm stuck in an airplane for long periods of time. Otherwise I get restless and cranky which is not fun for anyone to be around :)

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Korean Airlines and knitting needles in carry on bag

Hope you're lucky, let us know how it goes.

PA
Level Contributor
67 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Korean Airlines and knitting needles in carry on bag

Wife is avid knitter and use to believe that needles were a "no-no" until found TSA paper. Prior to that she packed her needles(one pair) in with pens(several click ball point) and got them on board. Whether this worked or not I don't know but she was never stopped or ?'ed. Perhaps our dumb luck!