We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Codeshare flights : can't check-in online... where do i chec

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
589 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Codeshare flights : can't check-in online... where do i chec

Hi all,

Will be going to Hawaii in october and have 6 flight segments (booked through United) :

YUL - NWR (Air Canada Jazz)

NWR - HNL (United)

HNL - LIH (Hawaiian)

OGG - HNL (Hawaiian)

HNL - NWR (United)

NWR - YUL (ExpressJet United)

Problem is : I know from past experience I probably won't be able to check-in online in advance (see http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k6474954-Another_redress_number_question_do_I_need_want_one-Air_Travel.html#49347748)

I'll probably have to check-in at the airline desk at the airport.

Question : How do I check-in for multiple flights? Does the first airline check me through all the other flights? Do I have to go exit the secured zone, go to the desk of the airline, check-in, then go through security again? Is there any other way? This is my first codeshare experience.

Please help!!

2JZGTE

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,651 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Codeshare flights : can't check-in online... where do i chec

I am prety sure they are all codeshare with each other so you check in, get all the boarding passes needed, they take your bags and check them all the way through for you.

I am going to toss a caveat out though, all the flights using Hawaiian have to be on the same PNR (passenger name record). If you booked all of this through United you should be ok. Hawaiian recently said they would not check bags though if on seperate PNR's. I have not heard anyone say they actually had to collect their bags and recheck them but that was what Hawaiian said they may have to do.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,658 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Codeshare flights : can't check-in online... where do i chec

Check-in is always with the airline that operates your flight. So Air Canada Jazz for your first trip.

I take it, that the first 2 flights are on the same day, so are the last two, and the Hawaiians are seperate? Or is Lihue your final destination?

I don't know about Air Canada Jazz, but United tends to block online check-ins for US bound flights unless you have provided all the necessary information (US Address, passport details etc.) in advance on your booking....

What's NWR? Do you mean Newark, that would be EWR, just to avoid confusion.

In Montreal you should be checked through to your final destination on that day.

Is the flight to Lihue a direct connection on the same day? I don't know exactly how they handle inter-airline flights at Honolulu if you're connecting to an inter-island flight.

I'm also not sure if Air Canada issues the Hawaiian Airlines boarding pass or if you'll have to obtain that seperately in HNL.

I assume you'll pre-clear US immigration, customs and security in Montreal, so you should be able to go directly to your gate in Newark.

In general on code-share flights, the airline that operates the first flight will check you in on all flights. However, as said, I'm not sure about the inter-island flights.

Edited: 8:07 am, August 23, 2013
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Codeshare flights : can't check-in online... where do i chec

Call the airline you're flying with. You may need to get a new confirmation #. I booked a ticket through Delta,using Delta miles. Flight is on Alaska Airlines. Delta gave me only their confirmation #, and said to get seat assignments upon check-in. I phoned Alaska Airlines, and quickly got seat assignments and their confirmation #.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
589 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Codeshare flights : can't check-in online... where do i chec

Thanks for your help.

@YoungTravelerUS :

Segments 1-3 and 4-6 are on the same day (going from YUL to LIH and then coming back from OGG to YUL).

Yes, I meant EWR :)

I confirmed with Air Canada that they check my luggage all the way through final destination, and we do clear customs and immigration in Montreal.

I'll try calling them back to see if they check us in all the way through final destination, so we can get all boarding passes at once.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Codeshare flights : can't check-in online... where do i chec

I have a codeshare between JAL and BA from London to Fukouka (Japan).

Both airlines would not allow to check in online or even seat reservation

for the return journey to London.

Suggest to avoid them if possible.

Edited: 6:48 am, November 24, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,843 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Codeshare flights : can't check-in online... where do i chec

^^^^

That's an all too common problem I'm afraid, not just limited to BA/JL. I had the same issue last month (Jet Airways to United, although my pre-selected United seat assignment was preserved when checking in at BLR). And last year on a Lufthansa to United schedule I could check in for all flights with Lufty, but the LH site messed up my seat assignments on the United flights so I gave up and checked in at the airport.

You just have to be very wary of these things when flying any multi-airline itinerary.

Edited: 7:03 am, November 24, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,485 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Codeshare flights : can't check-in online... where do i chec

Or call them. Whenever I've had a code share I've been able to reserve seats by calling as long as the airlines policy allowed pre reserved seats without paying. And then just check in at the airport.

Edited: 8:39 am, November 24, 2013
Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,779 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Codeshare flights : can't check-in online... where do i chec

Online check-in with this sort of scenario, especially for international flights, is often not possible. If you advocate not flying with airlines that do this, then you aren't going to be flying much, I'm afraid.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,331 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Codeshare flights : can't check-in online... where do i chec

I am pretty sure you should be able to check-in online provided you go to the operating carrier's website with the right PNR. Seat reservation though is subject to the airline's policy. In BA's case, unless you have status with BA or Oneworld, if you don't pay, you don't get to reserve a seat. I haven't flown with JAL for a while so I didn't bother to look up their seating policy.

>>>Both airlines would not allow to check in online or even seat reservation

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,553 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Codeshare flights : can't check-in online... where do i chec

The term "codeshare" applies ONLY when a flight on Airline B's plane carries Airline A's flight number, e.g. United 5678 "operated by Air Canada."

Simply connecting from one airline's plane to another airline's plane does not comprise a codeshare relationship, and the two airlines don't have to be either partners or members of the same alliance. If the two flights are on the same ticket then one relies on interline agreements covering ticketing and baggage. If the flights are on more than one ticket then each airline's rules and practices apply regarding issuing of boarding passes or through-tagging luggage, also things like seat selection, baggage limits and fees, etc.