We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended airline for travel from NYC to Thailand?

New York
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Recommended airline for travel from NYC to Thailand?

Hello!

My boyfriend and I are trying to book a flight from NYC to Bangkok in February. There's a really cheap $1k flight from Aeroflot, some $1200 flights from Air China and China Eastern, and Qatar Airways for $1300 (but with long layover) - there are a bunch more as well.

I've never flown to Asia so am not familiar with any of these airlines. For that long of a flight, I'm willing to pay more for a better experience on an airline, but I'm not sure which airlines stand out as being better than others! Does anyone have opinions or recommendations for good airlines to fly out east?

(My main concerns are service, food, in-flight entertainment, and hopefully newish planes :)

Thanks a lot!

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Recommended airline for travel from NYC to Thailand?

Of those you have mentioned I would choose Qatar Airways.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,197 posts
53 reviews
2. Re: Recommended airline for travel from NYC to Thailand?

Of the carriers you list, Qatar is the only one I would consider, however you should also consider both Korean carriers (Korean Airlines and Asiana Airlines). I believe Asiana to have the very best economy class to Asia. Avoid mainland Chinese carriers like the plague!

Feb is high season - esp the beginning (Chinese New Year) - it would be cheaper the later you travel

Edited: 11:46 am, August 21, 2013
Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
Level Contributor
39,474 posts
192 reviews
3. Re: Recommended airline for travel from NYC to Thailand?

Qatar is the best out of your list but I agree with daawgon, both Asiana and Korean are very good options, check out the www.skyscanner.com website to see what's the best price/schedule but flight prices change daily so you have to keep checking.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,182 posts
381 reviews
4. Re: Recommended airline for travel from NYC to Thailand?

Also check http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/seats.htm

It lists Qatar as a 5-star airline, Air China as 4-star, and others 3-stars. I'd read individual reviews, which are, of course subjective, but which may discuss points important to you. I haven't flown Aeroflot in 25 years. Flew China Eastern on a domestic route many years ago. The prices are roundtrip? For $300, I'd probably go with Qatar, though I don't know how long the "long" layover is.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,182 posts
381 reviews
5. Re: Recommended airline for travel from NYC to Thailand?

Using arbitrary February dates, Expedia.com shows lots of options in the same price range, including Eva (Taiwan), Asiana and Korean Airlines (both South Korean) and Cathay Pacific (Hong Kong). Showed a couple of options on Qatar, one with two hours, and another with six, in Doha. I personally wouldn't take Aeroflot for the small savings, but I've flown them only once (Luxembourg-Moscow r.t.) and, of course, it's not my money.

Edited: 1:11 pm, August 21, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
823 posts
33 reviews
6. Re: Recommended airline for travel from NYC to Thailand?

Cathay Pacific (5 star airline) is definitely worth checking out. Non-stops JFK-Hong Kong with seamless quick connections to Bangkok.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
21,427 posts
65 reviews
7. Re: Recommended airline for travel from NYC to Thailand?

My vote would be for Asiana and Cathay, particularly if they have flights in similar price range.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
24,678 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Recommended airline for travel from NYC to Thailand?

Being based in New York (NYC?) you're spoiled for choice, and you have options via Europe as well as the Middle East as well Asia Pacific.

I have my favorites (Asiana would be my #1 choice for airline). But I'd also consider the timing of the flights. Those airlines that have a late night departure from JFK will get you to BKK in the morning. Those imo are far preferable to the ones that leave lunchtime/early afternoon and get to BKK very late at night. I'd personally go for those rather than the flights that arrive in Bangkok very late at night.

A quick look at Kayak shows that EVA, Qatar and Korean depart JFK at night and arrive in Bangkok in the morning. Cathay Pacific has an early morning (c. 9am) departure that gets you to BKK at 6pm. Don't discount SWISS or Turkish either.

Edited: 2:15 pm, August 21, 2013
London
Level Contributor
834 posts
24 reviews
9. Re: Recommended airline for travel from NYC to Thailand?

I flew EVA last year London to Bangkok (they are the only airline that fly direct from London other then BA and THAI) and for the price I couldn't fault them.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
575 reviews
10. Re: Recommended airline for travel from NYC to Thailand?

If you look for comfort, Cathay, Qatar, Emirates, Singapore would be good choice. I would not fly with any Chinese carrier or Aeroflot.