We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airline recommendation

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
airline recommendation

Good evening,

I am planning a trip to Stockholm 11 Oct through 16 Oct 2013. I am flying out of Houston, TX

I was wondering if I should wait another week or so before purchasing the ticket. Also, I would like to fly Economy Comfort, also called Seat Plus, Main Cabin Extra or some other name. I would have to pay for that upgrade since I do not have special status. Previously flew EC on KLM and it was worth it. I was wondering if anyone could recommend or has experiencing with another airlines EC?

Thank you

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,634 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: airline recommendation

Norwegian Airlines is using the brand new B787 on their routes from the USA to Scandinavia - they serve NYC and Fort Lauderdale

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: airline recommendation

Thanks for the info..I don't think that would work for me since I live in Houston

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,318 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: airline recommendation

Well United has one stops via Newark, and Economy Plus extra legroom seats. I use them all the time and they're very good. Plus, United has more E+ seats per aircraft than Delta does EC (not sure about KLM). That would probably be best for the outbound, but not so good on the return as you'd have to clear immigration and customs at EWR, which can be a right pain. You could look at doing a return via Frankfurt (Lufhtansa to FRA and then either United or Lufty to IAH), meaning you clear US formalities at Houston with no worries about missing a connecting flight. As well as E+, United has full AVOD on both the EWR-ARN and FRA-IAH legs. Lufty's FRA-IAH may be on the A380, but I don't like their new economy seats (and no E+).

Otherwise, you could look at Delta and/or KLM, pboth of whom have EC, and who are joint venture partners. Getting a return via Amsterdam on KLM would also ensure you did immigration/customs back home at Houston.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,318 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: airline recommendation

Edited. Inadvertent duplicate.

Edited: 10:13 pm, August 20, 2013
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: airline recommendation

Thanks for the detailed info. I really appreciate it

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,464 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: airline recommendation

I would avoid a connection in the US. So this leaves us with:

- LH: No way! No Eco+, horrendous FRA and some aircraft still without individual IFE

- AF: Good Eco+ and decent CDG

- BA: Good Eco+ (especially the new one you should have on a B777) and brilliant LHR T5

- KLM: Some sort of Eco+ that is only offering some extra legroom and seat angle and that is not satisfactory.

- Others might be available.

I would go for BA... Enjoy your trip.

Edited: 1:58 am, August 21, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,318 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: airline recommendation

.. edited

Edited: 2:14 am, August 21, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
665 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: airline recommendation

I would choose any European airline over American competitors if you have a choice. I like Air France but I would not like to fly into CDG as there seem to be always problems. SAS would be good choice, simple but efficient and clean.

9. Re: airline recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 23, 2014