We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights Bristol / Brussels

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
55 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Flights Bristol / Brussels

Does anyone have recent experience of flying between Bristol and Brussels? Although the flights have 'SN' codes (= Brussels Airlines), they appear to be operated by Flybe. But not as a code share, it seems, since there is no 'BExxx' flight number and they don't show up on the Flybe website. And the cost, at over £400 per person for a return flight, is indicative of a full-service airline rather than Flybe's usual cheap and (sometimes) cheerful business model.

The reason I ask is that I've seen so many complaints about Flybe and I would like to know whose level of service, punctuality etc I would be getting - Flybe's or Brussels Airlines'? At that price I would hope for a decent service but would I get one?

Somerset, UK
Level Contributor
489 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Flights Bristol / Brussels

I used to get the 6.30am flight, get picked up at Brussels airport about 10.00 their time, do a day's work, quick drink after, get the 8.00 pm flight back, be home by about 10.00 our time. Don't think I could have done that on Eurostar.

Edited: 7:13 am, August 20, 2013
Somerset, UK
Level Contributor
489 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Flights Bristol / Brussels

Just to add. This is always a busy route - mainly people on EU business.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Flights Bristol / Brussels

I used to get the 6.30am flight, get picked up at Brussels airport about 10.00 their time, do a day's work, quick drink after, get the 8.00 pm flight back, be home by about 10.00 our time. Don't think I could have done that on Eurostar.

=========

I should think you could get close.

Lets say you are getting a 457am train (same time as arrival at airport-ish) from Parkway. Arrives Paddington at 625. St P at 7, train at 730 arrives centre of Brussels 930 but time difference makes it 1030 which **if you are going to the city centre** is probably the same time as if you'd come in from the airport.

So what would make the difference here is where you lived near Bristol and where you worked near Brussels, if you lived nearish to the airport S side of Bristol and worked well outside Brussels, plane best, vice versa if it was the opposite.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Flights Bristol / Brussels

But at least with the aircraft you get to avoid London and the tube and all that nonsense.

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
55 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Flights Bristol / Brussels

Thanks for all the advice. A little more information: we are looking to travel on 16 October, we have 3 days in Brussels so we want to maximise the time there, hence we want an early arrival time. So I had discounted Eurostar, although I may have to rethink. Also we're only 20 minutes away from the airport.

On timings, the 0620 flight is due in at 0840, so with a fair wind we could be at a city centre hotel around 0930-0945. The first train out of Bristol Temple Meads at 0447 gets to Paddington at 0624, so the first Eurostar (0650) is far too risky. The next one I can see on the website is at 0804, arriving 1105. So Eurostar would take approx 1.5 hours longer. But it looks a lot cheaper so maybe!

To go back to my original concern about Flybe, it's not really the onboard stuff that worries me, it's that they seem to have a reputation for cancelling flights and putting people on the next one several hours later, plus poor punctuality. But I assume they are operating the Bristol to Brussels flights under contract to Brussels Airlines (does anybody know for definite?), so perhaps they will perform better here than with their own services!

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Flights Bristol / Brussels

As you can see I live in Exeter and as such am no stranger to FlyBe. I think you are right that it is under contract and as such a priority for them so as to avoid penalties.

Although I have not used that route I have used the code share flights they have with AF and have fond them to be more reliable than the norm.

I would always try to avoid London and changes as the more connections the law of averages increases the chance of delay.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,761 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Flights Bristol / Brussels

Brussels Airlines operates this route on a De Havilland Dash 8 Aircraft. This evenings flight is being operated by G-JECY aircraft registration:-

flickr.com/photos/jamesmepsted/7908585130/

Edited: 1:51 pm, August 20, 2013
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,761 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Flights Bristol / Brussels

Just to clarify, operator - Brussels Airlines. owner - Flybe.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,565 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Flights Bristol / Brussels

JohnInEngland,

Thanks for the additional information. Yes, flights departing on October 16 are indeed expensive. I reckon the Eurostar would work out best, and pricing from Temple Meads to Brussels is coming out at around £150 pp.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Flights Bristol / Brussels

Also we're only 20 minutes away from the airport.

---------

That might switch it in favour of flying.