We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport in Married Name and return ticket in Maiden name

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Passport in Married Name and return ticket in Maiden name

I wondered if anyone would be able to help me, I am a British National living in Qatar and I have booked a plane ticket to travel back to the UK for a friend’s wedding in October. I am planning on changing my passport when I am in the UK to my new married name.

Does anyone know if I will be able to travel back to Qatar with my return ticket in my Maiden name and with my new passport in my Married name? I will be traveling to UK with ticket and passport both in Maiden name so this wont be an issue.

I will have both passports with me plus my Marriage Certificate.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you in advance.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport in Married Name and return ticket in Maiden name

I suggest you ask the airline.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,618 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport in Married Name and return ticket in Maiden name

"Does anyone know if I will be able to travel back to Qatar with my return ticket in my Maiden name and with my new passport in my Married name? "- No, the names on the ticket and passport have to match, it's no longer possible to travel with married/maiden names backed by a marriage certificate (if it ever was).

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport in Married Name and return ticket in Maiden name

Hi, Thank you for your replies.

I have spoken to the airline and they can't give me the definite answer.

The system won’t allow me to book a return flight using my maiden name to travel to the UK and then my Married name for the Return flight back to Qatar. So not sure what I'm meant to do :-(

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport in Married Name and return ticket in Maiden name

Can you book two one-way flights?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,792 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport in Married Name and return ticket in Maiden name

You may have to wait and update your passport at the British embassy in Qatar rather than in the UK itself. This way, you will have a passport that matches your tickets since it seems your round trips are starting in Qatar.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,987 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport in Married Name and return ticket in Maiden name

You may not be able to update your British passport in Qatar.

For purposes of comparison, you may be interested to know that British citizens living in many overseas countries, including Israel (where I live) must now renew their passports through one of the few offices still open throughout the world - for Israel the office is in Paris. This means using a courier service, which is extremely inconvenient and expensive. I don't know whether this is the case in Qatar as well, and if so, whether it applies to changing a name on marriage.

But my tuppence worth is that I'll be going to London later this year for a week, and I will be using same-day passport renewal service when I am there, because it is cheaper than using the courier service! I asked my airline about this, since I will have a different passport on the return flight. The airline said I can call them up to four hours before the flight to tell them the new passport number and they will change their records accordingly.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,792 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport in Married Name and return ticket in Maiden name

Okay, Shuffaluff, I stand corrected. I know that American citizens can renew/obtain passports at the American Embassy. I just thought other nationalities would have the same ability. That is why my comment seemed so natural when I wrote it.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,987 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport in Married Name and return ticket in Maiden name

Rdglady, there are all kinds of things that Americans can do when outside their country that cannot be done by nationals of other respective countries. For example - off topic, I know - there is no such thing as postal voting (or voting in an embassy) in UK elections for British citizens. You ain't there, you don't vote. I remember way back when, British citizens living abroad could nominate a person in the UK to vote on their behalf. Weird. I don't know if that's still the case. I never did it, and now I have been away too long. Even if I were in England at the time of an election I couldn't vote there because I have been living abroad too long and have lost the right to vote.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
22,839 posts
504 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport in Married Name and return ticket in Maiden name

Here is what they wrote me.

"The Transportation Security Administration’s (TSA) identity verification policy requires all adult passengers (18 years of age and older) to provide a Federal or State Government-issued photo identification (ID) for inspection before entering the security checkpoint.

Travelers who do not have an ID that meets these requirements and bears their name as it appears on their boarding pass should bring whatever IDs or documents they have available. For example, passengers who have legally changed their name or prefer to use their middle name can present documents such as marriage licenses, birth certificates, or social security cards. There is no set list of what forms of alternative IDs or documents are acceptable. However, the information on one of the items should bear the passenger’s name as it appears on the boarding pass along with other identification information.

If passengers are unable to present an ID or documents that display their name as it appears on their boarding pass (including passengers who have entered misspelled names or use nicknames), or if TSA has questions about the ID presented, the passenger may be asked to assist TSA in the identity verification process. Under this process, TSA may ask the passenger to complete a Certification of Identity form, which requests the passenger’s name and current address, and may ask additional questions of the passenger to confirm his or her identity.

If we are able to confirm the passenger’s identity, the passenger will be cleared to enter the screening checkpoint. However, the individual may be subject to additional screening. If we are unable to confirm the passenger’s identity, TSA will deny the passenger entry into the security checkpoint. We recommend that travelers arrive at least 2 hours in advance of their flight time to allow ample time for security screening and boarding of aircraft"

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,987 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport in Married Name and return ticket in Maiden name

Jordanbulls, the clues are in TSA and Federal or State Government. You are talking about the United States, which has no relevance whatsoever to the OP's question. The OP is a British citizen going to the United Kingdom.

As I wrote in my post just above yours, what one country says, does, allows or doesn't has no bearing whatever on what another country does in similar circumstances.