We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gulf Air review - July / Aug 2013

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Gulf Air review - July / Aug 2013

Hi all, here's a review of Gulf Air in case you were thinking of travelling with this airline. I'm referring to the Dubai - Bahrain - Heathrow route.

In summary - if you can afford a bit more, travel with someone else.

While you're likely to pay less for these flights, in my experience you won't get anywhere near the service or comfort standard either. I've paid less on other airlines and enjoyed it more. These are the problems:

1. Uncomfortable seats - the seats lean back too far, so if the person in front wants a nap, your inflight entertainment screen is going to be right in your face for the whole flight. Good luck with the lumber support - mine felt broken. There's not much room there, so be prepared for a cosy flight.

2. Bad and broken inflight entertainment - on this long haul journey it wasn't on demand, so you tune into films / TV shows which just play on a roll - no pause etc. Crap range of films for what you'd expect of a modern airline, though there are at least some English speaking alongside Hindi and Arabic offerings. It also said Iron Man 3 would be playing, but no cigar. I think we had The Goonies, which is a plus, and something bad and spacey with Tom Cruise in it. We had the front seats where the inflight entertainment screen is folded out from the seat, but unfortunately my screen wouldn't prop up and fell sagging, so I skipped it and read a mag instead.

3. The food and drink - Alcohol and non-alcoholic drinks are served and come with the ticket price. No pre-meal snacks, but you can't have it all on a budget. Chilled drinks were not cold. I'm a veggie, so I can only go by the mister's comments that the meat option was 'alright' and that the short journey apple pastry was horrible (not sure why I wasn't served that anyway). For the short Dubai - Bahrain journey I had a roll, though I literally got a piece of lettuce, a slice of tomato and a cucumber in a roll, and on the way back, well, it looked like someone had chewed up some tuna and peppers and spat it into a roll. The main meal was fairly filling, but not particularly great compared to other airlines I've flown with (Emirates, Virgin, Royal Brunei, Qatar, BA). I also put my hand in someone's left over yoghurt when I unfolded my tray. Nice.

4. The service - I think they tried but were a bit bored to be honest and when I asked for a drink I felt a bit like I'd disturbed them. Also, once all the food and drink bit is over, you don't see them again. Usually you can catch the eye of a passing cabin crew, but it was all a bit 'job done'.

That's my summary of our experience on Gulf Air, did you find the same?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,106 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Gulf Air review - July / Aug 2013

Ibrahim A

Gulf Air are unlikely to read this forum - you need to contact them direct if you want any information.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Gulf Air review - July / Aug 2013

I flew with Gulf Air from London to Dubai via Bahrain in business class. Contrary to other reviews, it was excellent. I agree that the seats are a little old but everything worked well, the food and drinks were top quality and the cabin service was efficient and attentive. The business lounge at Bahrain for the short stop-over was very comfortable. The planes landed and took off on time, and the fare was far less than with the competitors. I am not connected with the airline in any way.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,547 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Gulf Air review - July / Aug 2013

I am not a fan of Gulf Air. There are just better airlines in the area (Qatar, Emirates, Etihad). They are not bad but not on the same level as the other three. That is also reflected in a lower Skytrax rating (Gulf Air 3 star, Emirates & Etihad 4 star and Qatar 5 star). So I use them when I cannot use one of the others.

Seat and IFE really need an upgrade. Standards and Gulf Air seem not to go together. So service levels depend largely on the mood of the day of the crew. Some crews work hard and give a fair service other crews are just disturbed by the passengers.

Finally it is interesting that if you seat in business class the service is ok'ish whilst in economy the primary objective of the crew seems to make you understand that you should have bought a business class ticket.

Manila, Utah
Level Contributor
2 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Gulf Air review - July / Aug 2013

We have flown several times, business class , although the seats were a bit old, the room we had was wonderful and the service was fantastic. I have no complaints. Great job GA.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Gulf Air review - July / Aug 2013

I travelled on economy on the COK-BAH-LHR-ORD route on 11 th January 2014. The flight from Cochin too off on time and the 4 hour flight to Bahrain was pretty good.

The problem started at Bahrain where the flight to London was delayed by 2.5 hours. The flight which was supposed to take off at 10 AM took off at 12,45 PM and as expected reached London late by 2.5 hours. The connection flight to Chicago was missed and to my surprise, aroungd 50 people missed their connection flight to Chicago,New York and Toronto . Everyone was stationed at different hotels after long waits at the airport for immigration.

I had to rebook my domestic flight from Chicago and lost 100S and a day's pay as I returned to work a day later. I wrote to the customer service and they responded they would look into the request for compendation but never heard from them again for over a month now. Worst airline ever and would never recommend unless you are flying within middle east & south Asia.

Abu Dhabi, Abu...
Level Contributor
49 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Gulf Air review - July / Aug 2013

Hi..

I travelled with Gulf Air , Abudhabi - Bahrain - Paris route and return . I would rate the flight experience well below average . I have travelled extensively by Emirates / Etihad / Turkish Airline. I would say avoid Gulf Air if you can . No doubt the ticket is way less than others, but it does come at a heavy price of comfort.

I specifically called than up to confirm the preferred seats, however at check in , the fellows had no idea about it , on both the legs. The Check in staff , avoids eye contact and just goes through the motions. The IFE / Food / seats are all horrible . The crew, hardly care.

On both legs , I happened to get near end ( Row 23 ABCD on A 320) seats with family . And would you believe , on both the legs , they ran out of food , by the time they reached us...!!!..

No more Gulf Air..

Asim Ali

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Gulf Air review - July / Aug 2013

I recently travelled by Gulf from London to Dubai via Bahrain. There is nothing good to complement the Gulf Air.

It wasn't the case a few years ago, where this airline was quite good.There was only beef and no other choices for main meal on London to Bahrain flight. While returning back from Dubai to Bahrain, on flight GF0513 on 20th Apr 2014, economic class air airhostess were rude and there was no smile on their faces. As a whole, I could not find a single reason ,why anybody should choose Gulf Air. Me and my wife were given the different seat, even we were the first to checked in.

Edited: 7:33 am, April 21, 2014
London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Gulf Air review - July / Aug 2013

I recently travelled by Gulf from London to Dubai via Bahrain. There is nothing good to complement the Gulf Air.

It wasn't the case a few years ago, where this airline was quite good.There was only beef and no other choices for main meal on London to Bahrain flight. While returning back from Dubai to Bahrain, on flight GF0513 on 20th Apr 2014, economic class air airhostess were rude and there was no smile on their faces. As a whole, I could not find a single reason ,why anybody should choose Gulf Air.

1 post
Save Reply
19. Re: Gulf Air review - July / Aug 2013

i travelled on gulf airlines london-bahrain- jedah with my family and i couldnt fault the stewards and stewardesses as they were delightful, polite and so very helpful..(and oh so pretty..) the seating was a nightmare the book in person at the airport literally split the 100 or so that were on a pilgrimage to Mecca. the flight attendants did their utmost to regroup and rearrange families that had been spilt.

the food was delicious and was served pretty much straight away.

i watched the hunger games and of course Friends. ( you cant go wrong with friends ..the Brad Pit episode) the screen were not as modern and up to date as the flight from bharain to jeddah ..but they were comfortable and easy to watch. blankets pillows earphones were all provided for.

the down side were the seats. when reclined it felt as the person in front was in my lap. that would really need to be sorted.

otherwise i would have to say i ahd a pretty good flight. first time ever i actually understood the pilot speaking who spoke clearly and slowly and he was mike from scotland..:)..

thank you for an overall great fligjt..nice food and friendly staff.

20. Re: Gulf Air review - July / Aug 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 am, May 21, 2014